Nexus Regional Dialogue in Central Asia
The Central Asia Nexus Dialogue Project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus and Multi-Sector Investment
Inter-sectoral working groups
Established inter-sectoral working groups to raise WEF Nexus awareness and biuld the skills of key stakeholders who will drive the application of the Nexus forward.
40 dialogue events
Increased WEF Nexus understanding in the region through 40 dialogue events.
Small-scale Nexus pilot project
Constructed small-scale Nexus pilot projects in 4 countries.
Integration of WEF Nexus into regional programmes
Integrated the WEF Nexus into major regional programmes, ensuring that Nexus thinking and specific projects are at the forefront of long-term planning in Central Asia.
Published factsheet, studies and recommendations on WEF Nexus in the region.
- Promoting WEF Security in Central Asia
- Regional institutional arrangement advancing WEF Security in Central Asia
- Building an enabling environement for WEF security dialogue in Central Asia
- Increasing returns on investment opportunities by applying a nexus approach. Available in English and Russian
- Final results under Tajikistan demo project to support the energy and food security. Available in English and Russian.
- Factsheet on Nexus Demonstration Projects. Available in English and Russian.
Nexus project proposals for investment in Phase II
Endorsed Nexus project proposals for investment in Phase II with the support of intersectoral and cross-regional dialogues.
Kicking the Nexus approach into high gear
Building on the successes of the first phase, Phase II of the Central Asia Nexus Dialogue project will focus on the practical application of the Nexus approach.
The main objectives include:
- Joint implementation of national and transboundary demonstration projects based on the WEF Nexus approach.
- Identification of suitable funding mechanisms for such projects.
- Implementation of demonstration projects will facilitate institutional and socio-economic assessments, simulation analysis (cost-benefit or trade off) and technical solutions.
- Strengthening the competence of experts in the practical application of the WEF Nexus approach in planning and investment decisions to ensure sustainable development and enhanced water, energy and food security in Central Asia.
- Further institutionalising the Nexus approach in national and regional governance structures and investment decisions.
Policy Brief // Excessive use of natural resources and sectoral …
By Atabek Umirbekov and colleagues. Climate change may have significant implications for water resources in Central Asia, by altering its…
Research Report // Water-Agriculture-Energy Nexus through the Lens of…
By Atabek Umirbekov, Almaz Akhmetov, Zafar Gafurov. This study examines the climate vulnerabilities of the water, agriculture, and energy sectors in…
Study // Lessons Learned Study: Insights gained from the Nexus Regional…
The Nexus Regional Dialogues Programme, which ran from 2016 to 2023, sought to identify the most effective institutional arrangements, methodologies…
Research Article // The Nexus between Agriculture, Water, Energy and…
By Olimjon Saidmamatov and colleagues. There is a positive long-term impact of economic growth, water productivity, energy consumption and…
Publication // Management of sediment-induced problems at Tuyamuyun…
By Sanjay Giri and Eric Stern. In this publication, a comprehensive review of the studies and data available as well as a rapid analysis of the…