By loading the video, data will be sent to YouTube. More information can be found in our data protection policy.
"Naturally the economic, social and environmental benefits should justify the investment."
Building with Nature represents a paradigm shift that places the understanding of natural processes and systems at the heart of the approach to create Nature-based Solutions (NbS) in hydraulic engineering along coasts and rivers.
Building with Nature has the potential to preserve the rapidly degrading natural ecosystems while answering the need for coastal hydrologic infrastructure such as ports and flood defence, even better, they come with lower investment costs. Despite these advantages application of Building with Nature is presently still exception rather than rule because public funding is lacking, and because there is little knowledge on effectiveness and costs and there is no project revenue.
Unlocking the value of Building with Nature can be achieved by a variety of measures:
- Short-term: apply a value-based approach in planning investments and mainstream this approach in procurement and contracting
- Medium-term: develop a knowledge base, mobilise private finance and develop public private partnerships
- Long-term: establish natural capital markets and earmark blended funds
- Building with Nature to crate Nature-based Solutions in hydraulic engineering
- Nature-based Solutions as an attractive alternative
- Investment gap in coastal protection and natural capital
- Tackling investment barriers in Nature-based Solutions
- Nature-based Solutions advocates as catalysts of transition
- In conclusion
On January 25 EcoShape officially launched the white paper Scaling investment in NbS along coasts in emerging countries in a webinar. Hosting a 30-min talkshow, EcoShape opens the discussion about attractive pathways for scaling up investment in NbS along coasts in emerging countries. Key actors such as local governments, development finance institutes, and the private sector bring their perspective to the table. Watch the webinar here:
- Nexus Blog // Nature and finance: looking forward to 2021 |
- Online Seminar // Nature & Agriculture: Pathways to finance and scale nature-based solutions
- White Paper // Scaling Investment in Nature based Solutions along Coasts in Emerging Countries. How to finance and accelerate implementation of nature-based solutions
- Executive Summary White Paper // Scaling Investment in Nature based Solutions along Coasts in Emerging Countries. How to finance and accelerate implementation of nature-based solutions