The global indicator on water-use efficiency tracks to what extent a country’s economic growth is dependent on the use of water resources, and enables policy and decision-makers to target interventions at sectors with high water use and low levels of improved efficiency over time.
This indicator addresses the economic component of target 6.4. In this report, you can learn more about the global and country progress on water-use efficiency. More information and methodological guidance can be found here.
This report is part of a series that tracks progress towards the various targets set out in SDG 6 using the SDG global indicators. To learn more about water and sanitation in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and the Integrated Monitoring Initiative for SDG 6, visit this website.
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and UN Water
Download the full report here.
FAO and UN Water. 2021. Progress on change in water-use efficiency. Global status and acceleration needs for SDG indicator 6.4.1, 2021. Rome.
- Discussion Paper // SMART IRRIGATION SMART WASH: Solutions in Response to the Pandemic Crisis in Africa
- Tool // The Global Food and Water System (GFWS)
- Report // Guidance on realizing real water savings with crop water productivity interventions
- Publication // The State of Food and Agriculture 2020 - Overcoming Water Challenges in Agriculture
- Publication // Assessing agroforestry practices and soil and water conservation for climate change adaptation in Kenya: A cost-benefit analysis