The sector programme Water Policy – Innovation for Resilience (WaPo-RE) is a supraregional project and advises the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) on shaping German development cooperation in the water sector. It is working on specific topics such as adaptation to climate change, (transboundary) water management and the Water-Energy-Food security (WEF) Nexus. The “Nexus Regional Dialogues Programme” supports the institutionalisation of the WEF Nexus approach in national and regional governance structures, and leverages the interest, awareness and engagement of public and private investors for WEF Nexus projects with the help of demonstration projects, workshops and the Nexus Resource Platform (www.water-energy-food.org). The programme is implemented in several regions, among others, West Africa with the Niger Basin Authority (ABN).The project “Improving security and climate resilience in a fragile context through the WEF Nexus – FREXUS” is aiming at improving security and climate resilience in fragile contexts by fostering sustainable resource management. It pursues an integrated and Nexus-based approach to break negative spirals of resource scarcity and conflicts and, instead, establishes climate resilient development opportunities.
The main tasks of the intern will be to support the implementation of the Nexus Regional Dialogues Programme in the Niger Basin and the Frexus project on a range of functions, including
- Support in developing proposals on Nexus and FREXUS activities in the Niger Basin
- Conceptual work on WEF Nexus and sustainable resource management topics
- Support of the team by independently researching and writing project reports (French, English, German)
- Maintain an overview of the work produced in the NRD and Frexus projects and document the produced deliverables
- Support the team members in the project regions
- Preparation of presentation materials and concept papers
- Support of international communication activities with project partners such as the Niger Basin Authority (NBA) and the Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC) and their member States
- Support the team in the content and logistical preparation of (virtual) events and workshops
- Support with knowledge management, contract management and monitoring/evaluation of project achievements
The Nexus-Team is looking for a highly proactive and well-organised person, able to work both independently and in a team, as well as under pressure
- You should have obtained at least a bachelor’s degree in environmental science, geography, economics, politics, social sciences or any other subject relevant to the topic of the internship
- You have gained knowledge and practical experience in the field of sustainable resource management, climate change adaptation, conflict & security or one of the project’s core topics (water, energy and agriculture)
- Preferably, you already have initial experience in the field of development cooperation (internships and/or volunteer work) and/or in developing and emerging countries, ideally in one of the Niger Basin countries
- Fluent in English and French; German is desirable
- Very good oral and written communication skills in the above-mentioned languages, confident in writing texts and in preparing topics conceptually for different target groups (general public, political level, etc.) in English and French
- Your strengths include initiative, teamwork, and good time management
- You have very good organizational skills and are used to working independently and results-oriented
Please be informed that you are only allowed to apply for this internship, if you are currently enrolled as a student or graduated not longer than six months ago from the start of your internship.
We pay a monthly stipend of €1.634,- (gross).
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
For further information, please contact Mr Jakob Seidler (email@example.com).
19/04/2021 - 19/07/2021
Apply here on the GIZ webpage. Application deadline 07/03/2021