The sector programme Water Policy – Innovation for Resilience (WaPo-RE) is a supraregional project and advises the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) on shaping German development cooperation in the water sector. It is working on specific topics such as adaptation to climate change, sanitation & hygiene, (transboundary) water management and the Water-Energy-Food security (WEF) Nexus.
The EU co-funded “Nexus Regional Dialogues Programme” is part of the WaPo-RE programme and supports the institutionalisation of the WEF Nexus approach in national and regional governance structures, and leverages the interest, awareness and engagement of public and private investors for WEF Nexus projects through workshops and demonstration projects. It also operates the Nexus Resource Platform (www.water-energy-food.org), a global knowledge hub for sharing WEF Nexus resources. The programme is implemented in Latin America with the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean, in the Middle East and North Africa with the League of Arab States, and in West Africa with the Niger Basin Authority.
The main responsibilities of the intern will be to support the Nexus Team on implementing the Nexus Regional Dialogues Programme on a range of functions, including:
- Support of international communication activities (including the writing of articles, website content management and social media posts) - in English, and possibly in Spanish and French
- Support of Social Media (SM) communication: e.g., brainstorming campaign ideas, posting on various social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) and assist in implementing plans to increase followers on SM platforms
- Assistance with the conceptual development of reports, training materials and tools for the implementation in the project regions
- Support the team by independently researching about various topics within the WEF Nexus topic field (German and English)
- Support for knowledge management, institutional learning and integration of feedback into processes and maintain an overview of the activities performed in the three regions
- Preparation of presentation materials
- Assisting in the organisation of meetings, workshops, trainings and sensitisation sessions with a focus on digital formats
The Nexus Team is looking for a highly proactive and well organised person, able to work independently and in a team as well as under pressure.
- You are studying in the third semester or higher in communications, journalism, environmental science, geography, politics, social sciences, or any other subject relevant to the topic of the internship
- You have gained knowledge and practical experience in the field of sustainable resource management and policy, possibly in one of the core topics (water, energy and agriculture)
- You have knowledge of social media platforms and a creative mindset
- Ideally, you have initial experience in the field of development cooperation (internships and/or volunteer work) and
- experiences in communications, especially in the field of social media;
- You are fluent in English, knowledge of Spanish, French and/or German is desirable
- You show very good oral and written communication skills, you are confident in writing texts and preparing topics conceptually for different target groups (general public, political management level, etc.)
- You have very good organisational skills and are used to working independently and results-oriented
Please apply via the GIZ online platform, accessible here.
Application deadline is August 28, 2022.
Please be informed that you are only allowed to apply for this internship, if you are currently enrolled as a student or graduated not longer than six months ago from the start of your internship.
We pay a monthly stipend of €1.797,- (gross).
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.