Job Vacancy // National Irrigation and Water Sector Expert
This consultancy position is based at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in the Ukraine, and is open only to Ukraine nationals and residents. FAO Ukraine is searching for a local irrigation and water sector expert. The vacancy is open until January 11, 2021.
Irrigation South Africa @Martin Maritz
Tasks and Responsibilities of Position
- Prepare a background study of circa 25 pages on irrigated agriculture in the Kherson oblast on water use and legislation, including irrigation practices, governance, projects and initiatives and, on that basis, assess the relevance of developing a Climate-smart irrigation systems methodology;
- Collaborate in ensuring that representatives of local authorities are informed of FAO activities related to water and irrigation, and maintains information exchanges and coordination activities with relevant UN agencies, NGOs and other key institutions operating in Kherson.
- Ensure that the problems identified in the background study are relevant for key stakeholders in Kherson through consultations or focus group discussions.
- If the problems and solutions identified in the background study are not validated by key stakeholders, carries out field surveys to collect missing data and information.
- Support the International Consultant in the development of the Climate-smart irrigation systems methodology.
- Prepare a strategy for the dissemination and adoption of the climate-smart irrigation methodology in Kherson;
- Organise and report on the results of meetings and events.
- Support any other tasks or activities that could be requested by the Direct Supervisor and the International Consultant
- Perform any other related duties as required.
- University degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Agricultural Science or related fields;
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience;
- Advanced knowledge of English. Knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) is an advantage;
- Proficiency in Ukrainian and Russian;
- National of Ukraine or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical/ Functional Skills
- Work experience in NGOs, INGOs, UN or other technical and/or humanitarian assistance organizations;
- Ability to work under pressure and to carry out several tasks in a timely manner and under tight deadlines, with minimum supervision;
- Relevant experience and skills in programme and project implementation, operations, project formulation, analysis and planning;
- Good understanding of the purpose and functions of technical programmes, UN’s guidelines, and project / programme management procedures;
- Systematic and efficient approach to work on assignments, good judgment and analytical ability;
- Direct project implementation experience is an asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
FAO Ukraine is a project management Office headed by the Regional Programme Leader, under operational responsibility of the Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia, contributing to the development of national policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce malnutrition, develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources.
National Irrigation and Water Sector Expert reports to the Head of Office/Programme Officer in Ukraine, under the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer and in close coordination with the International Consultant Project Manager, the National Irrigation and Water Sector Expert will provide direct technical and logistical support to the work of the International Consultant responsible for the development of the Climate-smart Irrigation System Methodology.
• FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
• Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
• Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
• Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
• For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered. Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
The original posting is listed here.