Workshop // Third Regional Workshop on Integrated Resource Management in Asian Cities: the Urban Nexus
The Third Regional Workshop was organized from 25 June to 27 June 2014 in Viet Nam in the context of the project "Integrated Resource Management in Asian Cities: the Urban Nexus", implemented by the German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ) and UN ESCAP, and financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Around 100 participants from Asia comprising of senior level policy makers from the national and city governments of the partner cities, representatives from regional networks, international and regional experts, and the private sector enterprises gathered for the three-day regional workshop in the city of Da Nang, Vietnam.
The workshop aimed to review the progress in designing urban nexus project initiatives in participating countries and cities, review current policies and programmes in support of urban nexus approaches, discuss the governance dimension of urban nexus and in particular, institutional arrangements required for an effective implementation of urban nexus approaches on the ground.
DAY 1: Wednesday, 25 June 2014
08h00 - 09h00 Registration
09h00 - 09h45 Opening session
- Welcome address by Vice Chairman of Da Nang People's Committee (DPC)/ Mr. Phung Tan Viet
- Opening remarks by the Consul General of the Consulate General of Federal Republic of Germany in Ho Chi Minh City/ Dr. Hans Dieter Stell
- Opening remarks by Section Chief, Sustainable Urban Development, Environment and Development Division, UNESCAP/ Dr. Donovan Storey
- Opening remarks by GIZ Nexus Project Director/ Ms. Ruth Erlbeck
9h45 - 10h15 Tea/Coffee Break
10h15 - 10h45
Session 1: Relevance of the Nexus approach for the Asia-Pacific region
Video on NEXUS
This session will introduce the relevance of the nexus approach for countries in Asia and the Pacific and present the progress of the project to date.
- "The Urban Nexus: Towards resource efficient and integrated solutions", Section Chief, Sustainable Urban Development, Environment and Development Division, UNESCAP/ Dr. Donovan Storey
- Overview of the project and progress since the Regional Workshop in December 2013, GIZ Nexus Project Director/ Ms. Ruth Erlbeck
10h45 - 12h00
Session 2: Urban nexus approach in practice
Da Nang Demonstration Project on waste water collection via vacuum sewer,
- Department for Planning and Investment (DPI)/Da Nang/Head of Foreign Economic Relations Division/ Ms. Le Thi Kim Phuong
- Department of Construction/Da Nang/Current situation of water drainage in Da Nang city and strategy on wastewater management/ Vice Head of Urban Infrastructure Management Division/ Mr. Tran Viet Dung
- Vacuum sewer collection (Part 1)/Director Business Development/Bilfinger Water Technologies GmbH/Global Business Unit Vacuum Technology/ Dr. Michael Gürtler MBA
12h00 — 13h00 Lunch
13h00 — 13h45
Session 2: Urban nexus approach in practice (continued)
- Vacuum sewer collection (Part 2)/Director Business Development/Bilfinger Water Technologies GmbH/Global Business Unit Vacuum Technology/ Dr. Michael Gürtler MBA
Session 3: Promotion of Nexus or adjacent approaches & projects in Vietnam
This session will review current policies and programmes in support of Nexus approaches in Vietnam and discuss the elements of a national policy framework required to enable urban Nexus initiatives to succeed.
- Presentation on GIZ Portfolio in Vietnam/Deputy Director GIZ Vietnam/ Dr. Andreas Schneider
- Vietnam/Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE)/Hanoi/Head of Division/Department of Water Resources Management/ Ms. Tran Thi Hue
- Vietnam/Ministry of Construction (MoC)/Director General of Administration of Technical Infrastructure (ATI)/ Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Hong Tien
- Presentation of Cities Development Initiatives for Asia (CDIA)/Regional Networking Specialist/ Ms. Joy Bailey
15h00 — 15h30 Tea/Coffee Break
Panel: Lessons learnt/Discussion on nexus cooperation in Vietnam as example for other cities
17h30 Departure from hotel lobby to restaurant
DAY 2: Thursday, 26 June 2014
Session 4: Benchmarking the Nexus
This session will discuss how to compare the nexus approach across cities, including monitoring and evaluation.
- City profiling and benchmarking, by Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Engineering/IAO/ Ms. Constanze Heydkamp
- Institutionalizing the Nexus approach, by ICLEI-SEAS/ Regional Director, Mr. Victorino Aquitania and Program Manager, Mr. Ranell Dedicatoria
Session 5: Innovative Nexus focused technologies
This session will focus on new technologies to be applied in the nexus framework. However, a strong political and governance commitment is required for their implementation.
- Fueling the Future with Maximum Yield Technology (MYT) (innovative waste treatment technology)/Project Manager/WEHRLE Umwelt GmbH/Mr. Martin Schaub, Video and Discussion
10h00 — 10h30 Tea/Coffee Break
10h30 - 12h00
Session 6: Urban nexus approach in practice
In this session each participating city will present the progress of their Nexus project activities made to date, and highlight some of the challenges facing implementation in terms of mandates, institutional arrangements, administrative boundaries and the required enabling policy framework. Each presentation will be followed by a short discussion round of 5-7 Minutes.
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia/ General Manager of Ulaanbaatar City and Head of Governor's Office, Mr. Badral Bold
- Naga, Philippines/ Mayor John Bongat and City Planning and Development Coordinator, Mr. Wilfredo Jr. Prilles
- Santa Rosa, Philippines/City ENRO Officer, Ms. Erlinda Creencia
12h00 - 13h00 Lunch
13h00 - 14h30
Session 6: Urban nexus approach in practice (ctnd.)
- Korat, Thailand/ Senior Sanitation Officer, Mr. Bunleu Narapinit
- Chiang Mai, Thailand/ Vice Mayor Natchudet Viriyadilokthum
- Pekanbaru, Indonesia/ Head of Sub-Section Programming, Mr. Todi Kurniawan
- Tanjungpinang, Indonesia/ Head of Bappeda Tanjungpinang, Mr. H. Hamalis
- Baguio, Philippines/ Environment Officer of Baguio, Ms. Maria Adelaida Lacsamana
14h30-15h00 Tea/Coffee Break
Site visit to An Hai Bac Ward/ Eastern Coastal Area/ Danang
DAY 3: Friday, 27 June 2014
8h30 - 10h00
Session 7: Role of meso level organisations in the framework of the Nexus Project
This session will focus on the role meso level organisations can play in promoting and mainstreaming the nexus approach. Both training institutes as well as city networks/associations will spell out their roles and understanding of nexus and their possible contribution to nexus.
- Role of training institutions: the example of BISCAST (Bicol State College of Applied Sciences and Technology)/Naga City/Philippines/ President of BISCAST, Dr. Richard H. Cordial
- Association of Mongolian Municipalities/ Executive Director, Ms. B. Oyunbayar
- CITYNET/ Program Officer, Ms. Marina Brenden
- United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG-ASPAC)/ Director of Program Development, Mr. Khairul Mahadi
- Association of Indonesia Municipalities (APEKSI)/ Manager of Advocacy and Regulation, Ms. Tri Utari
- Laguna Water, Santa Rosa, Philippines/ Business Development Manager, Mr. Christiane Henritz Batallones
10h00 - 10h30 Tea/Coffee Break
10h30 - 12h00
Session 8: The governance dimension
This session will discuss the governance dimension of the nexus approach and arrangements required for effective implementation of nexus projects. It will take stock of the discussions of previous sessions and provide recommendations for the effective adoption of nexus approaches in terms of supportive policies, planning practices and institutional arrangements. It will further identify necessary future actions to support the project and its expected outcomes. Participating ministries will elaborate on the relevance of the Nexus approach in their respective countries and present current policies and initiatives in support of the Nexus approach.
- Thailand/Office of Natural Resources and Environmental Policy and Planning (ONEP)/ Environmental Official, Dr. Patcharasorn Karatna
- Thailand/National Housing Authority (NHA)/ Deputy Director of Housing Development Studies Department, Ms. Suchada Sirorangsee
- Mongolia/Ministry of Construction and Urban Development/ Officer, Ms. Lkhamserjid Altangerel
- Mongolia/Ministry of Natural Resources and Green Development/ Officer, Mr. Ganbat Munkhtuvshin
- Mongolia/Ministry of Energy/ Officer, Yeren-Ulzii Batmunkh
- Integrated Water Resource Management (MoMo) — Model Region Mongolia/Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research-UFZ/ Dr. Ralf Ibisch
- Philippines/Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), National Solid Waste Management Commission/ Executive Director, Mr. Eligio T. Ildefonso
- Philippines/Home Development Mutual Fund (HDMF)/ OIC Superviser, Busniess Development Sector, Mr. Juanito Eje
Wrap-up and closing session
Session 9: Session for city representatives, GIZ Nexus, ICLEI-SEAS, and UN ESCAP
The session will discuss the cities evaluation of the workshop, the cities' areas/topics to focus on for the next one and a half year remaining of the Nexus project, next workshop date and venue, as well as the topics of the next workshop.
15h00-15h30 Tea/Coffee Break