Special Session at the 8th World Water Forum in Brazil.
Where and when
National Mané Garrincha Stadium
22 Mar 2018
The objectives of this special session are to:
- Share WEF Nexus lessons learned across scales and sectors toward SDGs implementation;
- Facilitate dialogue between funding agencies, banks, academics, private sector, public sector, technology providers, entrepreneurs and civil society on the role of WEF Nexus in SDGs implementation; and
- Discuss ways to improve policy coherence across WEF sectors and across scale.
Facilitated audience engagement (45 minutes) will encourage dialogue between funding agencies, banks, academics, private/public sectors, technology providers, entrepreneurs and civil society on the role of WEF Nexus in SDGs implementation, with the goal of addressing key questions:
- How can scientific tools, technology (in particular information, communication technology) data, and case studies contribute coherence to WEF systems / SDGs implementation?
- What policies and incentives are needed to promote implementation of SDGs in the context of WEF systems?
- What are some successful, cross-scale, governance and technological lessons?
- How can we communicate the WEF systems complexities and share positive messaging, while maintaining momentum towards change for a sustainable future?
- How do we maintain the integrity of human rights issues in the context of WEF systems solutions?
- How can opportunities be better promoted and coordinated between cross-sectoral players, at different scales?
Panel discussions will identify, for different stakeholders, opportunities associated with investment in Nexus solutions; the roles of public/private sectors, entrepreneurs and banks in their implementation, financing, and governance; and the types of interventions to be carried forward.
- Rabi Mohtar, TAMU and AUB
- J. Carl Ganter, Circle of Blue, Vector Centre
- Jerson Kelman, SABESP, Sao Paolo Water Utility
- Claudia Sadoff, IWMI
- Claude Nahon, EDF Group
- Gustavo Fonseca, GEF
- Jean Comby, Electriciens Sans Frontières
- Dominique Darmendrail, Agence Recerche France
- Katarine Cross, IWA
- Patrick Lavarde, IWRA
- Thadeau Abicalil, World Bank
- Sarah Davidson, WWF
Documentation will include: white paper summarizing discussions and conclusions; factsheets available to participants and published on line; video focused on Nexus dimensions and including farmers, global nexus chokepoints and interviews.
Rabi H. Mohtar
Texas A&M University (TAMU)
- Texas A&M University (TAMU)
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- Global Water Partnership (GWP)
- OCP Policy Center
- International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
- International Union for Conservation on Nature (IUCN)
- Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI)
- The World Bank
- Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- World Water Council (WWC)
- International Water Resources Association (IWRA)
- Global Environmental Facility (GEF)
- Water Foundry
- Circle of Blue
- The International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID)
- University of Nebraska
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (UN FAO)
- International Water Association (IWA)