Job posting // Postdoc for WEF communities project
The University of Groningen is offering a Postdoc position concerning legal research for a project to demonstrating the creation of Water-Energy-Food Nexus communities (WEF communities) in South Africa with the inputs from social and legal researchers from four universities. Apply before May 25, 2022
The position concerns legal research for a project that was awarded through the NWO-NRF Merian Fund (https://www.nwo.nl/(…)h-africa-merian-fund). The project started in September 2021 and is running till September 2024. It aims to demonstrate the creation of Water-Energy-Food Nexus communities (WEF communities) in South Africa with the inputs from social and legal researchers from four universities (Fort Hare University and North-West University for South Africa, University of Utrecht and University of Groningen for The Netherlands). The concept of WEF communities is seen as an extension of the energy communities (newly included in EU law) to the water and food sectors, with a justice lens. GCELS contributes with the study of the EU legal framework, particularly of the energy communities, and the potential adaptation to the South African context.
The postdoc researcher will be responsible for examining the legal framework that applies to the creation and operation of energy communities in the EU and for cooperating with the other universities in order to make recommendations for the creation of WEF communities in South Africa. This implies the management of both trans-disciplinary and international relations and the (co-) writing of academic articles and policy briefs on the EU legislation for energy communities, its adaptation to the South African context, its extension to the water and food sectors and the inclusion of justice concerns in this new construct.
In addition to these research activities, the Post-doctoral researcher will be involved in day-to-day activities at the Department of Energy Law.
- PhD in Energy or Environmental law, preferably with a focus on the WEF Nexus and knowledge on the law applicable to energy communities in the EU
- interest in (energy or social) justice issues is appreciated
- interest in cooperation with non-legal and international researchers
- good knowledge of English (written and oral) and preferably a basic knowledge of Dutch (or willingness to learn it)
- excellent communication and reporting skills, also in relation to non-legal scholars
- demonstrable competences: conceptual capacity, societal orientation, presentation skills and results-oriented focus.
The University of Groningen offers you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a fulltime position
- a temporary appointment for a specified period of 24 months.
- the preferred starting date is 1 September 2022
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
You may apply for this position until 24 May / before 25 May 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form.
Click here to submit your application.
Applications should include:
- a cover letter that explains the motivation for applying for this position
- a full curriculum vitae
- a teaching statement that contains a description of courses taught and teaching qualifications.
The interviews for the position are scheduled for the first week of June 2022.
For more information please contact: Prof. L. Squintan
Visit the University of Groningen website to read the original call for applications.