April 27, 2021 14:00-16:30 CEST
This Global Dialogue will explore the fundamental inter-connections between food systems and water systems, and their relations to other areas fundamental to the Sustainable Development Goals, such as energy, climate, and the environment.
It is co-convened by Dr. Agnes Kalibata, Special Envoy for UN Food Systems Summit and Mr. Gilbert Houngbo, chair of the UN- Water partnership, with the support of the UN-Water partners – the International Water Management Institute, FAO, WFP and IFAD.
In this dialogue, participants will be invited to explore how water is an essential ingredient for sustainable food systems to:
- ensure access to safe and nutritious food for all
- shift to sustainable consumption patterns
- boost nature-positive production
- advance equitable livelihoods
- and build resilience to vulnerabilities, shocks and stress
The event will also build on the learnings that are arising on water and food systems in national and regional dialogues. We will unpack the major water challenges that are threatening our local and international food systems and explore opportunities for making food systems sustainable while protecting and restoring the water that is essential for life.
About the UNFSS Dialogues
The Food Systems Summit Dialogues are an approach for enabling systematic, inclusive opportunities for stakeholders to be engaged in food systems. The approach enables participants to contribute to the 2021 Food Systems Summit by building on efforts already underway, working together on pathways that lead to sustainable food systems, and setting out intentions and commitments in the run up to the Summit. These Dialogues contribute to shaping the pathways which will lead to equitable and sustainable food systems by 2030. They will also be valuable to the different work streams preparing for the Food Systems Summit: the Action Tracks, Scientific Groups and Champions as well as for other Dialogues.
The Dialogues are moments for: engaging actors in the food systems approach, in unusual ways; enabling them to explore ideas together; encouraging creativity, emphasising equity; emerging more powerfully through connections; elaborating pathways, intentions and commitments together.
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and global and regional partners have committed to host a series of multi-stakeholder dialogues that emphasise water’s transformative role in food systems. The objective is to bring the discussion on food and water systems in a changing climate to the global policy level and to provide tangible inputs into the discussion of the UNFSS.
Registration details will follow shortly. If you are interested in attending, please visit the UNFSS Food Systems Summit 2021 website and submit the 'contract convenors' form.
Further information can also be found on UN Water's website here
- Webinar // UNFSS Independent Dialogue in Southern Africa - Managing the water and energy we eat: advancing water‐energy-food (WEF) nexus approaches to achieve food systems transformation in Southern Africa
- Webinar // UNFSS Independent Dialogue in Central Asia - Advancing Water- Energy- Food Nexus for achieving food systems transformation under climate uncertainties
- Webinar // UUNFSS Independent Dialogue in Egypt - The Role of Water Security for Food Systems Transformation
- Webinar // UNFSS Independent Dialogue - Scaling a renewable energy-based food transformation