The case studies were analyzed through the coupled lenses of energy transition and the Water–Energy–Food Security (WEF) Nexus. The findings indicate that access to modern decentralized energy solutions has not resulted in complete energy transitions due to various tradeoffs with the other domains of the WEF Nexus. On the other hand, the case studies point at the potential for improvements in food security, incomes, health, the empowerment of women, and resource conservation when synergies between decentralized energy solutions and other components of the WEF Nexus are present.
- Case Study 1: Household Biogas Digester Project in Chunfeng Village in China
- Case Study 2: Improved Cook Stoves Experiences in Ecuador
- Case Study 3: Community Based Jatropha in Bati Woreda, Ethiopia
- Case Study 4: Biomass Gasifier-Based Mini Grid in Garkha Village, Bihar, India
- Case Study 5: Micro-Hydro Plant in Siklesh Village, Nepal
MDPI website (open access)
Special Issue of Resources: "Toward Integrated Water-Energy-Land-Food Management"