June 15 2021 01:00 PM CEST
Inequality is the defining challenge of the current generation. Regional and local inequalities have been exacerbated by the current COVID-19 pandemic, and necessitates a coordinated international and intergovernmental effort recover with resilience, in accordance with the UN Secretary-General’s six climate-related principles to Building Back Better.
Therefore, there is value to investigate and exchange nexus, multi-dimensional, and intersectional strategic approaches and best practices, in pursuit of regional cooperation, knowledge-sharing, and capacity-building.
About the event
The UN Regional Commission will present a case study to showcase best practices and lessons learned on the topic of “Regional Acceleration of Climate Action and Decarbonization”, followed by a panel dialogue focusing on relevant integrated policy-making tools that observe all three dimensions, supporting an enabling public policy environment and closing implementation gaps by strengthening systemic, institutional, and individual capacities in light of the current unprecedented development situation. The third dialogue is moderated by Amr Nour, Director, Regional Commissions New York Office (RCNYO).
The first two sessions of the Virtual Series focused on Defining and Financing Green Recover. The introductory dialogue "Defining Green Recovery" aimed at pushing the needle forward to frame the rest of the series through stronger operationalization, to effectively monitor, evaluate and verify the impact of recovery and stimulus measures on environmental outcomes. The second dialogue "Financing Green Recovery" focused on the important role of the public sector, and fiscal policy, that can support a stronger and greener economic recovery, whilst creating a collaborative and enabling environment for the private sector to mobilize resources to Build Back Better.
You can watch the first two sessions here.
- Mr. Jean-Paul Adam, Director, Technology, Climate Change & Natural Resource Management Division, ECA
- Ms. Roula Majdalani, Chief of Service, Sustainable Development, ESCWA
- Mr. Stefanos Fotiou, Director, Environment and Development Division, ESCAP
- Mr. Joseluis Samaniego Leyva, Chief, Sustainable Development and Human Settlements Division, ECLAC
- Mr. Marco Keiner, Director, Environment Division, UNECE
You can register for the Zoom session here.
For more information on the Virtual Nexus Dialogues Series, visit the website of the UN Environment Management Group.
You can download background information, programme etc. of the complete series here.
- Publication // The water-energy-food nexus and COVID-19: Towards a systematization of impacts and responses
- Publication // COVID-19 and the water–energy–food nexus in Africa: Evidence from Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania
- Publication // Nexus planning as a pathway towards sustainable environmental and human health post Covid-19