Nexus Fact Sheet // Support of the water resources management at Lake Kivu and the Ruzizi River
The aim of the project is to support the regional river basin organization ABAKIR (Autorité du Bassin du Lac Kivu et de la Rivière Ruzizi) to improve the hydrological and operational management of Lake Kivu and the Ruzizi River with a Nexus perspective.
Lake Kivu and the Ruzizi River are located in Eastern Central Africa and both lie on the border of its riparian countries: the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Rwanda and Burundi.
To achieve the objective of supporting ABAKIR to improve the hydrological and operational management of Lake Kivu and the Ruzizi River, several key outputs are planned for the project. Some of these outputs are as follows (see the Factsheet for full project information):
- Development of a comprehensive Basin Baseline Study
- Proposal of a Strategic Plan for an integrated and long-term basin management
- Awareness raising and capacity building measures for key stakeholders in the basin
- Identification of priority projects and activities
- Support the ratification process of ABAKIR
- Proposal for a participative management structure, including space for dialogue between all relevant stakeholders
Fact Sheet // Support of the water resources management at Lake Kivu and the Ruzizi River (English)
Kristine Herbomel, email@example.com