Vacancy // Spring Internship: Water, Food & Ecosystems for the SDGs and Strategic Partnerships
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is offering an internship which provides an excellent opportunity for students interested in sustainable development and water governance to gain experience in the field of the Water, Food, Ecosystem Nexus and partnership development.
GWP Internship: Water, Food, Ecosystems for the SDGs and Partnerships & Resource Mobilisation
Dates: Flexible start date in February, 3 months extendable up to 6 months
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is a global action network with over 3,000 Partner organisations in 183 countries. Founded in 1996, the network has 65 Country Water Partnerships and 13 Regional Water Partnerships. GWP’s vision is a water secure world. To realise this vision GWP supports countries to advance governance and management of water resources for sustainable and equitable development. This is pursued by promoting Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM), a cross-sectoral policy approach designed to replace the traditional, fragmented sectoral approach that has led to poor services and unsustainable resource use. As a means to achieving long-term impact towards water security, GWP seeks to influence water governance processes through the promotion of IWRM principles. Policy development, strategic planning, legislative change, investment planning and transboundary agreements are examples of such processes and it is here that GWP actively contributes both inside and outside the ‘water box’ at the global, regional, national and subnational levels.
The GWP Secretariat supports Regional Water Partnerships and Country Water Partnerships to carry out their work programmes, as well as to facilitate knowledge sharing across countries and regions. This support is delivered in the context of GWP’s three anchor areas within the new GWP Strategy 2020-2025:
1. Water Solutions for the Sustainable Development Goals
2. Climate Resilience through Water
3. Transboundary Water Cooperation
This internship offers an excellent opportunity for students interested in sustainable development and water governance to gain exposure to the operations of a network organization that extends from the global level to regional and national levels.
The intern will be part of the the Water Solutions for the SDGs team in the Network Operations Unit, focusing on the Water, Food, Ecosystems agenda, as well as the Strategic Partnerships team in the ES Office, focusing on Partnerships and Resource Mobilisation. Assignments will include:
- Produce a review and synthesis of GWP’s ecosystems portfolio
- Support partnership development and resource mobilization for water & food, water & ecosystems and water energy food nexus, within the framework of the SDGs: desktop research and analysis on opportunities, stakeholder mapping, identification of likely funding sources, support to development of concept notes, contribution to stakeholder outreach strategies and proposal writing in support of global, regional or country-specific proposals
- Review of the water & food, water & ecosystems and water energy food nexus-related activities in the IWRM Action Plans facilitated by GWP to identify opportunities to boost countries’ implementation
- Development of outreach material on water & food, water & ecosystems and water energy food nexus: policy briefs on GWP portfolio and experiences, development of content for thematic webpages on GWP website and on GWP new Toolbox, blog posts, etc.
- Support to the organization of webinars and sessions, including reporting on the events
- Support to strategic partnerships development, including relevant communications materials, PowerPoints, and reports, and maintaining the opportunities tracking database
- Development and population of broader resource mobilization tools
- Any other ad-hoc tasks to support GWP food, ecosystems and WEF nexus thematic work, the broader SDG-related activities and/or Partnership and Resource Mobilisation
Requirements, Qualifications and Terms
In addition to the information and requirements set out in the general GWP Internship Description (link below), applicants shall meet the following requirements:
- Interest in water resources management, any of GWP’s overall focus areas (particularly SDGs and/or youth), and/or other environmental sustainability issues.
- Knowledge of the 2030 Development Agenda and Íntegrated Water Resources Management is an advantage
- Meet all expenses for travel, insurance and any other expenses through financial support from their educational institution, government, scholarships or through personal resources
Desired qualifications for this internship include:
- An excellent communicator in English, in writing and orally (other languages a nice-to-have)
- Good analytical skills
- Good organisational skills
- Good interpersonal and multi-cultural communication skills
- Background in natural sciences, agriculture, development, or related fields, and an international perspective
- Demonstrated writing skills are a plus
Familiarize yourself with the full description and requirements of an internship with GWPO here: https://www.gwp.org/en/About/more/Vacancies-and-Internships/
Note: The Internship is based at the GWP Global Secretariat in Stockholm, Sweden. Due to the current uncertain circumstances globally, amid the Covid-19 pandemic, however, the nature of the internship may be altered. The Internship may be carried out remotely, delays and/or cancellation may also occur. GWP will closely follow developments and notify long- and/or shortlisted candidates of any changes
Interested students should submit their applications through the online application system latest by
13 December 2020.
Applications should include the following:
- Cover Letter with an introduction of the applicant
- Available start date
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview latest in mid-January.
Questions can be addressed to Internship@gwp.org (applications are not accepted via e-mail).
Originally posted on Josh's Water Jobs