Central Asia Nexus Regional Dialogue // Outcomes of the first Regional Steering Committee Meeting
The First Meeting of the Regional Steering Committee (RSC) of the EU funded “Central Asia Nexus Dialogue Project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus and Multi-Sector Investment (Phase II) took place on 27 October 2020 online due to the COVID-19 related travel restrictions. The meeting had the following objectives: i) present the focus and objectives of Phase II of the Project; ii) adopt the Terms of Reference (ToR) of the Regional Steering Committee; and iii) approve the list of small-scale demonstration projects to be implemented during Phase II.
The meeting was attended by 16 members of the Regional Steering Committee nominated by Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, as well as representatives of the European Union Delegations to Central Asia countries, representatives of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), World Bank and Global Nexus Secretariat.
Main outcomes of the meeting:
- Terms of Reference of the Regional Steering Committee of the Nexus Dialogue in Central Asia Project have been adopted (Annex 3);
- “Tuyamuyun Hydroelectric Complex” has been selected as a transboundary small-scale demonstration project to be implemented jointly by Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan via the Transboundary Working Group (TWG);
- “Improvement of the control and monitoring system of electricity consumption at the pumping stations and modernization of the large pumping stations with the introduction of energy-efficient technology” has been selected as a national small-scale project to be implemented by the Agency of Land Reclamation and Irrigation under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan;
- "Afforestation of the dried bottom of the Aral Sea: piloting a closed root system" has been selected as a national small-scale project to be implemented by the EB IFAS in Kazakhstan;
- Small-scale demonstration project proposals from Kyrgyzstan will be submitted to the Project team by the nominated representatives of Kyrgyzstan at a later stage, and shared with other RSC members in due course;
- CAWEP reconfirmed their commitment and interest in the joint implementation of small-scale demonstration projects.
- Fact Sheet Central Asia Nexus Dialogue Project: Fostering Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus and Multi-Sector Investment (Phase II)