11 May 2022 I 18:00 - 20:00 GMT
The event will be held in English and French.
"The state of the world’s land and water resources for food and agriculture: Systems at breaking point (SOLAW 2021)" Main Report is a comprehensive resource that highlights the worsening state of the earth’s soil, land and water resources – the roots of the global food systems – and the challenges posed in feeding a global population expected to hit ten billion by 2050. It provides key information for decision-makers, raising awareness and leadership on the sustainable use of land, soil and water resources to meet global challenges with forward-looking post-pandemic new ways of thinking, to start transformation towards more efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems.
The event will present the main findings and recommendations of SOLAW 2021 and will discuss the need and value of an integrated approach to the management of the land, soil and water resources to achieve food security.
We welcome you to join the event in person in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, or to connect virtually HERE.
Master of Ceremony, Vera Boerger, Senior Land and Water Officer, FAO
High Level Opening Ceremony
Welcoming address, Ms. Maria Helena Semedo, Deputy Director-General, FAO
- Mr. Ibrahim Thiaw, Executive Director, UNCCD
- H.E. Mr. Kobenan Kouassi Adjoumani, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Côte d’Ivoire
- H.E. Mr. Jean Luc Assi, Minister of Environment, Côte d’Ivoire
- Mr. William D. Dar, Secretary, Department of Agriculture, Philippines (tbc)
- Mr. Nurettin Tas, General Director of Combat Desertification, Ministry of Urbanization, Environment and Climate Change, Turkey
- Mr. Erin Tomkinson, Counsellor, Agriculture, water and Environment, Department of Agriculture, Australia
Video on the state of the world's land and water resources for food and agriculture
Presentation of SOLAW 2021: main findings and recommendations
Mr. Lifeng Li, Director, Land and Water Division, FAO
Panel discussion on the need and value of an integrated approach for land, soil and water management for food security
Moderator, Feras Ziadat, Technical Officer, Land and Water Division, FAO
- Ms. Attia Rafla, General Engineer, Director of Soil Resources, Water Resources and Fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture, Tunisia
- Mr. Dismas Bakundukize, Director of Forestry programs, Rwanda Forestry Authority and National Focal Point, UNCCD, Rwanda
- Mr. Juan Lucas Restrepo, Director General of the Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT, and Global Director of Partnerships and Advocacy at CGIAR
- Mr. Ulrich Apel, Senior Environmental Specialist, Global Environment Facility
- Mr. Herrick Jeff, Research Soil Scientist, United States Department of Agriculture/Agricultural Research Service
- Ms. Nicole Harari, Research Scientist, World Overview of Conservation Approaches and Technologies
Vera Boerger, FAO
Please find more information here.