The interconnectedness of water, energy and food production cycles translates into the interdependence of water, energy and food pricing. This paper interrogates the level of interconnectedness between these systems in South Africa and discusses how energy and water costs influence food prices in the country and affect the country's level of food security. The paper emphasizes that sustainable solutions to food security necessitate integrative thinking in the process of strategic planning for these resources.
- M.Gulati, WWF South Africa
- I. Jacobs, Water Research Commission South Africa
- A.Jooste, National Agricultural Marketing Council South Africa
- D. Naidoo, Water Research Commission South Africa
- S.Fakir, WWF South Africa
Aquatic Procedia: Volume 1, 2013, Pages 150-164