The partnership currently consists of 19 participating countries: Algeria, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malta, Morocco, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Tunisia and Turkey.
The partnership will be financed through a combination of funding from participating countries (currently €274 million), and a €220 million contribution from the EU through Horizon 2020, its research and innovation funding programme (2014 – 2020).
On 23 December 2014, following the adoption of the Competitiveness Council's conclusions of 5 December 2014, nine Member States of the European Union (EU) – Croatia, Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Slovenia and Spain – submitted a proposal for the participation of the EU in a joint research and innovation programme focused on the development and application of innovative solutions for food systems and water resources in the Mediterranean basin. This would be through an Article 185 initiative under Horizon 2020.
In line with the indications provided in the Better Regulation Guidelines, and with the support of an external group of experts, the European Commission services have performed an Impact Assessment of the PRIMA initiative before preparing a legislative proposal. The purpose of this process is to analyse the need for an EU action in this domain and the potential economic, social and environmental impacts of the alternative policy options.
The European Commission's Better Regulation Guidelines have strengthened the commitment to carry out consultations that are of a high quality, transparent, and reach all stakeholders.
In the context of the PRIMA Impact Assessment, the stakeholder consultation process included the following two consultation activities:
- a 12-week online public consultation, running from 1 February to 24 April 2016
- a stakeholder event which took place in Malta on 17 March 2016
Adoption of the PRIMA Decision
On 13 June 2017, the European Parliament adopted the PRIMA Decision and on 26 June 2017, the Council endorsed the initiative. The Decision entered into force on 7 August 2017.
A management body for PRIMA, the "PRIMA Foundation", has been set up in Barcelona.
The participation of Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Morocco in PRIMA was subject to the conclusion of specific International Agreements with the EU:
- Algeria: Agreement signed on 26 October 2017 (provisionally applicable from signature). Algeria became a PRIMA Participating State from this date.
- Egypt: Agreement signed on 27 October 2017 (no provisional application) and entered into force on 15 March 2018. Egypt became a PRIMA Participating State from 15 March 2018.
- Jordan: Agreement signed on 10 November 2017 (no provisional application) and entered into force on 16 January 2018. Jordan became a PRIMA Participating State from 16 January 2018.
- Lebanon: Agreement signed on 27 February 2018 (provisionally applicable from signature). Lebanon became a PRIMA Participating State from this date.
- Morocco: Agreement signed on 10 April 2018 (provisionally applicable from signature). Morocco became a PRIMA Participating State from this date.
- PRIMA Decision 2017/1324 (18 July 2017)
- EU-Morocco signature | News Alert
- EU-Egypt signature
- EU-Jordan signature
- EU-Lebanon signature
- Algeria joins PRIMA
- Pioneering partnership of 19 countries to tackle water and food shortages in the Mediterranean
News Alert 13 June 2017
- Commission Proposal (18 October 2016)
Press Release | Memo | EC Proposal
- PRIMA Joint Programme
- PRIMA Joint Programme – Addendum
- PRIMA Inception Impact Assessment
- PRIMA Impact Assessment Consultation Strategy
- PRIMA SRIA
- PRIMA – Questions and Answers
PRIMA Calls for proposal 2018
The PRIMA Foundation has launched its first calls for proposals to mobilize the Euro-Mediterranean scientific communities, stakeholders and public and private entities to identify R&I solutions for a more sustainable water and food management.
More details on the calls
For further information on PRIMA, please send an e-mail to: RTD-PRIMA@ec.europa.eu
#embed id=4173;3794 class=list
Source: EC website