© EC-JRC. Africa Knowledge Platform. Cover Image: Ivko
About WEFE Nexus in Africa
Africa faces the challenge of improving both energy access and food security. But on a continent with widespread water scarcity, these needs must be met without increasing water consumption. Every drop counts. The Water-Energy-Food-Ecosystems (WEFE) Nexus provides a framework for balancing the needs of sanitation, irrigation, and electricity generation, without depriving nature. This story describes efforts by the European Commission Joint Research Centre to apply the WEFE Nexus in the Senegal River Basin.
- Drivers of development
- What is the WEFE Nexus?
- WEFE in the Senegal Basin
- Making complex decision
- Quantifying trade-offs
- Policy Context
Access the story
Visit the Africa Knowledge Platform to access the story: 'WEFE: a delicate balance'.
- Report // Implementing the Water–Energy–Food–Ecosystems Nexus and Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
- Report // Water–Energy–Food Security–Ecosystems in Africa. Science Behind the Debate
- Report // Water–Energy–Food Security–Ecosystems in Africa
- WEFE Nexus Publication // European Commission Position Paper on the WEFE Nexus and the SDGs
- JRC Technical Report // Water-Energy-Food Nexus Interactions Assessment: Renewable Energy Sources to support Water Access and Quality in West Africa
- Policy Brief // Reconciling resource uses in transboundary basins: assessment of the Water-Food-Energy-Ecosystems Nexus