Socio-economic pressures and climate change impose restrictions to water allocated to agriculture. Growing competition among different water uses, together with increased water vulnerability and scarcity because of climate change, will reduce water availability in agriculture. Nevertheless, global food demand is projected to increase until mid-century, so that improved water management is a priority to meet water and food security.
Moving towards sustainable water management in agriculture involves not only adoption of tecnological improvements but also changes in the social and institutional frameworks. Efforts are needed to assess water-food interlinkages, support the design of synergetic policy interventions and promote water reuse and transition to a circular economy.
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Water is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- socioeconomic and environmental analysis of water use in agriculture
- integrated assessment of policy interventions for promoting sustainable water management in agriculture
- assessment of vulnerability and resilience of agricultural systems to water related estress
- bioeconomic modelling to assess food and water policies aiming at attaining the SDGs
- water-energy-food nexus in a context of global change
- water reuse in agriculture and transition to a more circular economy
- water governance for agriculture
- development of analytical tools to identify water-food interlinkages, assess trade-offs and synergies and support policy interventions to enhance agricultural sustainability.