The Water and Energy for Food Grand Challenge (WE4F) USAID Secretariat seeks candidates for its 2021 Spring/Summer Semester Virtual Internship; a position that provides valuable, real-world experience and the opportunity to contribute to a program that impacts the lives of millions in developing countries and emerging economies.
WE4F is a joint international initiative of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the European Union, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of the Netherlands, Sweden through the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). Announced at World Water Week 2018 and launched at Social Capital Markets 2019 signature event in San Francisco, California, WE4F aims to:
- Increase food production along the value chain through a more sustainable and efficient usage of water and/or energy.
- Increase income for those in the base of the pyramid, women, men in both rural and urban areas.
- Sustainably scale innovators’ solutions to meet the challenges in the WE4F nexus.
- Promote climate and environmental resilience and biodiversity through the sustainable, holistic management of natural resources and ecosystems
- Through WE4F, the partners will expand the scale of innovations that impact the sectors of food and water, food and energy, or nexus of all three (food, water, energy) to increase the sustainability of agricultural food value chains, improve energy and water efficiency, and improve climate resilient agriculture in developing countries and emerging markets in accordance with the SDGs, while maintaining a specific focus on the poor, youth, and women.
Duties and Qualifications
Applicants must have an interest in international development, water, energy, or agriculture. Experience in writing and editing, the ability to work virtually and independently, and a passion for the WE4F mission are crucial for the position.
We seek undergraduate and graduate students in the advanced stages of academic training with a GPA 3.0 or higher, an outstanding work ethic and attitude, and strong written and verbal communication skills.
Under the supervision of the USAID Secretariat Manager, the WE4F Intern will work with members of the Secretariat staff to support activities based on the program portfolios’ needs. These portfolios include: Communications and Knowledge Management, Regional Innovation Hub (RIH) Support; Monitoring and Evaluation; and General Administrative Support.
Communications & Knowledge Management
- Support the development of several communications and knowledge management products including social media, program newsletters, blogposts, conference proposals, and other program materials (as needed)
- Review programmatic documents to ensure compliance with the WE4F branding guidelines.
- Conduct research to support communication activities including events, social media, newsletter, and website (e.g., social media/google analytics, best practice trends)
- Support the management of various WE4F communications channels including the program’s website.
Regional Innovation Hub Support
- Review Regional Innovation Hub documents for clarity and consistency.
- Conduct desk research and partner/donor outreach to ensure that the program’s partnership and donor databases are updated regularly.
- Provide administrative support during various RIH data collection activities (i.e., Semi-annual Hub Performance Surveys).
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Review and proofread data collection mechanisms.
- Provide administrative support to External Surveyor activities as needed.
In addition to the duties listed above, the WE4F Intern will be required to assist with more general Secretariat administrative tasks on an as needed basis. These include, but are not limited to meeting/event coordination, note taking, ad hoc research, etc.
- Highly independent and able to work with minimal supervision
- Interest in development and social impact
- Ability to edit program documents and project deliverables
- Background/experience in water-energy-ag nexus-related issues is desirable, but not mandatory
- Passion for excellence, quality, and accuracy
- Experience with WordPress or similar products
- Experience with Canva, Hootsuite, or Adobe Creative products
- Experience with social media and content development
- Attentiveness to detail
- An ability to manage and meet deadlines
- Values humility, integrity, and personal responsibility
- Virtual Internship Timeframe: 3 months. Internships can be extended based on performance.
- Estimated Hours: 20 hours/week (maximum).
- Stipend Terms: The Intern will be compensated with a monthly stipend of $1,000, for a total of $3,000.
- Submission Deadline: Currently accepting applications on a rolling basis.
- Submission Requirements: Please submit a short email cover letter describing your work style, current resume, and a recent writing sample to email@example.com
- Questions: You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
No fixed deadline. Accepting applications on a rolling basis
Originally posted on the WE4F website here