As the science and knowledge service of the Commission, the mission of DG Joint Research Centre is to support EU policies with independent evidence throughout the whole policy cycle. The JRC is located in 5 Member States (Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain). Further information is available here.
The vacancy is within the Directorate for Sustainable Resources mainly based in Ispra (Italy). The Directorate provides scientific knowledge for EU policies related to the sustainable use of resources, encompassing environmental, economic and social dimensions.
As part of the Water and Marine Resources Unit, the candidate will contribute to the scientific component of the EC NEXUS Dialogues project that strategically steers on-going and newly established policy-dialogue approaches towards realisation of the Water, Energy, Food and Ecosystems Security Nexus (WEFE NEXUS) in developing countries. One of the tasks will be to provide scientific and technical support to the EC NEXUS Executive Secretariat with analyses that will feed high-level political discussions on the WEFE NEXUS in the context of EC Cooperation policies. She/he will contribute to the development of River Basin Operational Plans in selected river basin case studies and use this information to support the preparation of the JRC High Level report on WEFE NEXUS in Africa in collaboration with the other JRC teams involved in WEFE NEXUS Project.
The ideal candidate will have
- A University degree and/or MSc and/or PhD in Bioenergies/Renewable Energies and Environment, Hydrology, Water Science, Agriculture or related NEXUS fields.
- Experience in assessing WEFE NEXUS interactions and/or NEXUS support tools and/or renewable energies is an asset.
- Experience in writing project documents is required.
- Experience and knowledge on renewable energies for rural electrification and/or to support access to water and quality will be an asset.
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English (B2) is required. The knowledge of another community language would be an advantage.
Relevant publications and presentations should be highlighted.
12 months initial contract with possible renewals up to maximum 6 years
- Ispra, Italy
Rules and Eligibility
The candidate must be on a valid EPSO reserve list for Function Group IV contract staff.
Applicants to the following Calls for expression of interest can also be considered:
- CAST Permanent - EPSO has launched in January 2017 an open-ended selection procedure to create a pool of candidates from which the institutions, bodies, offices and agencies of the European Union (EU) can recruit contract agents. Details available here.
- Call COM/1/2015/GFIV – Research - The JRC has launched in January 2015 a permanent call for researchers FG IV. Details available here.
Auxiliary contract staff: details available here.
Please note that due to the high number of applications received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.