This article is also available in Russian.
This article was initially published on the CAREC website on May 22th 2023.
DUSHANBE, TAJIKISTAN – On May 17, on the sidelines of the 5th Central Asian Climate Change Conference (CACCC-2023), the EU-funded project "Nexus Dialogue in Central Asia" held a Nexus Game with the participation of the Network of Academic Societies representatives. During the game, the participants tried on the roles of ministers of countries located upstream and downstream of the river, and made decisions of national importance.
The Nexus Simulation Game represents a facilitated process of playing five different scenarios for developing the territories upstream and downstream while addressing water needs of population, industry and agriculture and taking into account climate change challenges. It is a good training tool for policy makers to practice how different water management policies could facilitate sustainable development in harmony with the environment.
The Nexus simulation was developed by the Polish organization Centre for Systems Solutions in collaboration with the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis and the “Sustainable Energy for All” Initiative and introduced in the Central Asian region in 2018 by CAREC in the framework of the European Union funded project “Nexus Dialogue in Central Asia”. The Nexus Simulation was distributed later by CAREC in universities, academies, basin organizations and media in Central Asia with funding from the EU and USAID.
CAREC implements the projects:
- “Nexus Dialogue in Central Asia” in partnership with the Global Nexus Secretariat under the financial support of the European Union.
- “Support for the USAID Reginal Water and Vulnerable Environment” in partnership with the USAID WAVE under financial support of the USAID.”
- Nexus Regional Dialogue Central Asia // European Union promotes the Nexus approach to enhance the resilience in Central Asia
- Nexus Regional Dialogue Central Asia // European Union promotes Nexus approach to facilitate green investments in Central Asia.
- Nexus Regional Dialogue Central Asia // Investing in multisectoral projects in Central Asia: challenges and opportunities
- Nexus Stories // Afforestation of the dried bottom of the Aral Sea