Job posting // Senior Research Assistant: Resource Nexus Analytics, Informatics and Data (AID)
UNU-FLORES is looking for a senior research assistant to join their team in Dresden, Germany. The successful candidate will be working on identifying, developing, and promoting data, information, computational techniques, and analytical tools that enable the Nexus approach to sustainable environmental resources management. Apply before July 3, 2022.
The Resource Nexus Analytics, Informatics and Data (AID) Research Programme at UNU-FLORES is focused on identifying, developing, and promoting data, information, computational techniques, and analytical tools that enable the Nexus approach to sustainable environmental resources management. The Programme aids academics, businesses, policymakers, societies as well as the United Nations and intergovernmental agencies to navigate through complexity and examine the interrelatedness and interdependencies of the components of coupled human-environment systems.
The Resource Nexus AID Research Programme at UNU-FLORES benefits from collaboration with a global network of scientists and professionals that work at the interface of science-policy-society who aim to tackle the triple planetary crisis of climate, nature, and pollution and facilitate the fulfilment of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The focus areas of the Resource Nexus AID Programme include (but are not limited to) water, energy, waste, climate change, agriculture/food, ecosystems, and biodiversity.
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNU-FLORES and direct supervision of the Head of Nexus. Research (AID) Programme, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
1. Technical Support: Perform research and technical activities to support the AID Programme
- Assist with UNU-FLORES’ research activities through researching, extracting, and compiling information and data related to the Resource Nexus AID Research Programme;
- Perform literature reviews and assist in the evaluation and examination of research;
- Prepare abstracts/bibliographic descriptions for inclusion in publications;
- Assist with proofreading of written materials for accuracy before publication;
2. Knowledge Management: Provide support for knowledge documentation, building and dissemination
- Prepare a variety of reports and presentations, infographics, tables, and diagrams for Senior Researchers;
- Support with the development of knowledge projects
- Synthesise and document lessons learned and best practices;
- Assist with preparing outputs to be shared on the UNU-FLORES website and other relevant platforms
3. Programme Support: Provide administrative and logistics support for the Programme
- Sort, consolidate, and process data and enter it into relevant databases;
- Assist in the maintenance of relevant research tools and platforms;
- Handle communication with external stakeholders;
4. Capacity and Educational Development
- Assist with the Institute's teaching activities, especially e-learning and capacity development;
- Support with organising activities such as workshops related to the Research Programme;
5. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or the Director
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A Master 's degree or equivalent in Environmental Sciences or Engineering, Climate Change, Water Resources, Regional Planning, Sustainable Development, Data Sciences, Systems Analysis, or other relevant field is required;
- Two years of research experience in Sustainability and/or Environmental Systems Planning, and Policy on a topic relevant to the Resource Nexus AID programme;
- Experience with quantitative analysis and/or modelling;
- Experience in drafting reports, communications, and presentations;
- Experience and extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office and ArcGIS;
- Strong planning, organisation, and time management skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently;
- Must be flexible with the ability to establish priorities and work within prescribed timeframes;
- An excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills, as demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Duration of contract
This is a part-time (50%) employment for an initial duration of 1 year. This is a Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration on a PSA contract with UNU may not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for PSA holders is 65 years.
Expected start date: as soon as possible
How to Apply
To apply to UNU, you will not need an account. Instead, we ask that you:
- fill out the UNU P11 form (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations);
- provide a motivation statement (in the P11 form); and
- answer a few questions that are tailored to the position.
Application Deadline: 03 July 2022
Apply via the online application form.
Please visit the UNU-FLORES website for further information.