The sector programme Water Policy – Innovation for Resilience (WaPo-RE) is a supraregional project and advises the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) on shaping German development cooperation in the water sector. As a part of the sector programme, the Nexus Regional Dialogue Programme (NRD) supports the institutionalisation of the water-energy-food security Nexus approach in national and regional governance structures, and leverages the interest, awareness and engagement of public and private investors for WEF Nexus projects with the help of demonstration projects with workshops as well as the Nexus Resource Platform (www.water-energy-food.org). The programme is implemented, among other regions, in the West African Niger Basin in cooperation with the Niger Basin Authority (NBA).Furthermore, the Nexus team is working on a project called Frexus to enhance security and climate resilience in fragile contexts through the WEF Nexus in Mali, Niger, and Chad.
The main responsibilities of the intern will be to
- Support the implementation of the Nexus Regional Dialogues Programme, especially concerning the Niger Basin region, as well as the Frexus project on a range of functions
- Support of international communication activities- Conceptual work on WEF Nexus and resource management topics
- Support of the team by independently researching and writing project documents (French, English, German)
- Overview of the work produced in the NRD and Frexus, documentation of products and support of the team members in the project regions (esp. West Africa)
- Preparation of presentation materials and concept papers
- Support of the team in the content and logistical preparation of (virtual) events and workshops
- Knowledge management and monitoring/ evaluation of project achievements
- The Nexus-Team is looking for a highly proactive and well-organised person, able to work both independently and in a team, as well as under pressure
- You are enrolled (3rd Semester or higher) in environmental science, geography, economics, politics, social sciences or any other subject relevant to the topic of the internship
- You have gained knowledge and practical experience in the field of sustainable resource management, climate change adaptation, conflict & security or one of the project’s core topics (water, energy and agriculture)
- Ideally, you already have initial experience in the field of development cooperation (internships and/or volunteer work) and/or in developing and emerging countries
- You’re fluent in English and French; German is an asset
- You show very good communication skills in the above mentioned languages
- You’re confident in writing texts and in preparing topics conceptually for different target groups (general public, political level, etc.)
- Your strengths include initiative, teamwork, and good time management
- You have very good organizational skills and are used to working independently and results-oriented
Please apply via the GIZ online platform, accessible here. Application deadline is July 20, 2022.
Please note that you are only allowed to apply for this internship, if you are currently enrolled as a student or graduated not longer than six months ago from the start of your internship.
GIZ pays a monthly stipend of €1.797,- (gross).