The Water-Energy-Food (WEF) nexus has high priority in South Africa. Within the research programme, the focus will be on the WEF-nexus in relation to major social challenges such as poverty reduction, unemployment and capacity building.
Research projects should follow the following objectives:
- Address challenges related to the WEF Nexus in the context of a specific region, province or local municipality in South Africa.
- The chosen regional, provincial or local context should be suitable to work as showcase and provide transferable knowledge to other settings.
- Build upon existing or develop new analytical tools to assess resource performance and create a WEF nexus database or information system for South Africa.
- Translate research to inform policies in developing options for integrated sustainable resource management, planning and governance.
Deadline for submission: 26 September 2019
About the Merian Fund
Within the Merian Fund, international cooperation with emerging science and developing countries plays an important role. The common thread is research that supports the worldwide achievement of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Domains and institutes of NWO and of the Taskforce for Applied Research (NPRO-SIA) contribute from their own expertise, instruments and networks. WOTRO Science for Global Development is responsible for the implementation of the calls.
Webinar on Merian Fund call with South Africa
- 13 August 2019
- More information about the webinar here.