- Design infrastructure investments in upper watersheds in collaboration with local communities, based on an integrated ecosystem services and inter-sectoral ‘nexus perspective’.
- Design and implement upper watershed interventions that prioritize benefitting upstream as well as downstream people.
- Provide training and support both to strengthen the institutional capacities of local communities to engage effectively with others in planning and managing infrastructure projects, and to encourage ‘citizen science’ in collaboration with external scientific expertise.
- Use trade and marketing policies to promote sustainable intensification of agriculture, other ecosystem services and food security.
- In upper watersheds where communities are highly dependent on springs for water, adapt and make use of participatory interdisciplinary methodologies to identify and implement actions to ensure they will remain productive.
Towards Sustainable Intensification: Insights and Solutions Brief 6