- Organizational Unit: United Nations University Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
- Reference Number: 2019/UNU/FLORES/PSA/EC/11
- Closing Date : 15 March 2019
United Nations University Objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu.
United Nations University Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
The mission of UNU-FLORES is to contribute, through research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge, to the resolution of pressing challenges in the area of sustainable use and integrated management of environmental resources (water, soil and waste), particularly in developing and transitional countries. It aims to serve within the UN as the think-tank on resources management and be internationally recognized as major hub and intellectual focal point promoting integrated management strategies addressing in particular the needs of developing and emerging countries. The Institute is located in Dresden, Federal Republic of Germany.
For more information please visit http://flores.unu.edu.
Dresden Nexus Conference (DNC)
The Dresden Nexus Conference is a platform developed to advance the sustainable development agenda by bringing actors together who apply a Nexus Approach to resource management. Side by side, researchers and implementers (policy- and decision makers) from universities, national and international organizations, UN entities, ministries and governmental agencies, as well as individual researchers and stakeholders from the private sector and civil society discuss current research and initiatives applying the Nexus Approach and the benefits for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. Responsibilities: The incumbent will act as the coordinator of UNU-FLORES’s contributions to the organisation of the Dresden Nexus Conference 2020 (DNC2020), under the authority of the Director of UNU-FLORES and direct supervision of the Academic Officer for Water Resources Management and the Communications & Advocacy Officer, and with the potential of advancing to the position of Institutional Event Coordinator.
As Event Coordinator for DNC2020, the incumbent shall perform the following tasks:
- Provide coordination and logistical support for preparatory meetings within and outside of the organisation;
- Support the development of substantive input to the conference organisers such as a theme and programme for the event, the identification of speakers, moderators, panellist, session conveners, etc.
- Assist in drafting and disseminating of diverse communication including concept notes, logistics note(s), calls for submissions, invitation letters, and other exchanges as deemed necessary by the supervisor(s)
- Support participant management in cooperation with co-organisers by using specialized conference software to, for instance, ensure the timely submission of all presentations prior to the conference from selected speakers and their registration
- Coordinate venue management in cooperation with co-organisers such as the selection process of a venue and the on-site oversight of the arrangements (audio-visual equipment, catering, etc.)
- Assist in monitoring the effective delivery of information material, such as an up-to-date conference website displaying submission and registration processes, the venue, travel arrangements, speakers, and any other developments
- Assist in post-conference management including follow up with participants, and the post-event analysis of data for the production of an internal summary report and de-brief
- Progressively take on responsibility for coordinating further institutional events
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor(s) and/or the director
Required qualifications and experience:
- (University) degree in communications, social or natural sciences and/or event/hotel management (hospitality); or equivalent technical qualifications;
- 2 years of professional experience, preferably in event management within the academic or political sector and operations logistics in a multicultural environment
- Highly motivated in coordinating and planning events;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) required with a particular emphasis on conference management systems
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with government, academic, civil society organizations and other relevant stakeholders in a professional and friendly manner
- A good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Excellent administration, organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and German is required
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualification and experience of the successful candidate.
Specifications of Contract
This is a full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNUFLORES, with the possibility for renewal subject to fund availability and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration of appointment shall not exceed six (6) years.
The successful candidate will be employed under a personnel service agreement based in Dresden, Germany and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
Applications from suitably qualified woman candidates and those from developing countries are particularly encouraged.
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Interested applicants should submit their applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include:
- A cover letter;
- A curriculum vitae;
- A completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations
- Please insert the following reference number in the subject: 2019/UNU/FLORES/PSA/EC/11
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8)
- By post: United Nations University International Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES), Ammonstrasse 74, Dresden, 01067 (Germany)
- By E-mail: email@example.com