Online conference // Food Systems for New Realities - Agri4D 2021
To progress towards sustainable and just food systems, Agri4D will bring together researchers, policymakers and practitioners to engage actively with the challenges of food systems with a focus on low-income contexts in a globalised world. The conference aims to be a platform to take stock of the current knowledge frontier, connect science to policymaking and practice, and spark new collaborations. It is organised by the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) and the Swedish International Agriculture Network Initiative (SIANI), with support from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
© Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
September 28 to 30
About the event
More than 800 million people in the world are undernourished, despite the growing scientific knowledge and decades of international aid. Natural resource conflicts, climate change and the COVID-19 pandemic rapidly push more people into poverty and hunger. At the same time, obesity is an increasing health problem in almost all countries in the world. While the majority of existing food systems are drivers of biodiversity loss, greenhouse gas emissions and water insecurity, they also provide livelihoods to a majority of people.
Just and resilient food systems can contribute to all Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). At this year’s Agri4D conference, the participants are asked to specifically address the core question: ‘How can we shape sustainable and just food systems resilient to the new realities of changing climates, ongoing transformations in food production, supply and demand, health threats and pandemics?’
The objective of the conference is to present and integrate knowledge about potential solutions and outcomes, while identifying how those solutions might be incentivised and how, together, they can enable the social and economic transformations necessary to advance and achieve the goal of food and nutrition security for all. The three days conference is divided into 6 topics:
- Topic 1 - Justice in Food Governance
- Topic 2 – Towards Improved Food and Nutrition Security from Smallholder-inclusive Food Systems
- Topic 3 – Agroecology
- Topic 4 – Closing the loop – making food systems circular
- Topic 5 – Innovation & Innovative Approaches
- Topic 6 – Build resilience to vulnerabilities, shocks and stress
The Agri4D 2021 conference will take place on the Coeo digital platform. There is no registration fee to attend but registration is required in order to get log-in access to the Coeo digital platform. You can register here.
Event coordinator: Alin Kadfak
You can contact Agri4D via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can follow the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences on Twitter and Facebook for updates.
- Opinion // Water-Energy-Food Weave a Tangled Web: Here’s How We Can Navigate It
- Nexus Blog // Four Reasons Small Farms are running out of Water – and how we can fix it
- Water-Food Nexus // Thirsty Food Story: Grasping the Invisible Ingredient
- Project // Water & Energy For Food (WE4F): A Grand Challenge For Development
- Online Course Reader // Powering Agriculture - Sustainable Energy for Food