The nexus between water and energy is one of the most pressing and important issues that must be resolved by both current and future generations.
The first edition of WaterEnergyNEXUS was organized in Korea in 2017 during the Asian International Water Week, one of the more pertinent and significant meetings in Asia for scientists and professionals working in the field of water use and sustainability. The second edition was organized in Salerno (Italy) in 2018.
This third WaterEnergyNEXUS conference, initially planned to be organized in the island of Djerba in Tunisia, will provide an international digital platform where key topics on water management can be shared and discussed by participants with the presentation of nature-based solutions, advanced technologies and best practices by a panel of experts invited as plenary and keynote speakers. Another objective of this 2020 WaterEnergyNEXUS conference is to enhance cooperation, integration and sustainable development in the Euro-Mediterranean region on the critical links between Water and Energy.
The WaterEnergyNEXUS series of conferences are supported by the UNESCO World Water Association Programme (WWAP) and the International Water Association (IWA). It also enjoys the patronage of several international scientific societies, associations and organizations and has established a publishing partnership with Springer Nature.
Topics of interest for the WaterEnergyNEXUS conference include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Nexus framework and governance
- The nexus from the energy perspective;
- The nexus from the water perspective as it relates to energy;
- Existing tools and models used to analyze the nexus;
- Land, climate and energy constraints on water use and food production;
- Governance challenges in the Water-Energy Nexus;
- Governance of innovation in renewable energies and mitigation of climate change impacts;
- Investment in energy and water infrastructure;
- Urban Water Security;
- Urban Agriculture;
- Policymaking to implement the Circular Economy in the water cycle;
- Estimates and economic evaluations for investment projects in the water and energy sectors
- Environmental technologies for sustainable water management
- Water-energy nexus/ energy-saving technology;
- Nutrients/hazardous substances control;
- Water/wastewater technologies relevant to developing countries;
- Technology-driven and natural solutions for water use problems;
- Green technologies for sustainable water and wastewater management;
- Renewable/valuable resources for recovery and utilization;
- Wastewater/waste to energy;
- Control of Contaminants of Emerging Concern (CECs) including Bacteria Resistant to Antibiotics (BRA) and microplastics;
- Health-related Viruses in Natural & Engineered Water Systems
- Future clean energy technologies and systems under water constraints
- Water needs in energy systems such as power plants, fuel refineries, renewable energy development, and carbon capture & storage, etc.;
- Energy needs for water supply and agriculture: extraction, transportation, and disposal of water, livestock breeding, fertilizer production, irrigation, food transportation etc.;
- Agricultural and land-use impacts on future energy systems;
- Future urban energy systems taking into account water and food security;
- Environmental Biotechnology and Bioenergy
- Implementation and best practices
- Technological innovations supporting secure global access to clean energy and water;
- Reduction in operational costs for water and wastewater utility through improvements in energy efficiency;
- Case studies of innovative technologies and policies in municipalities and industries for energy and water savings;
- Energy and water consumption and balancing flows of urban and industrial systems.
You can register for this event here