Webinar // Transforming Agrifood Systems to achieve the SDGs
Under the patronage of the Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Dr. Qu Dongyu, the FAO invites to the upcoming “Private Sector Dialogue Webinar”, where key stakeholders will discuss challenges and responses for food systems transformation in the Near East and North Africa (NENA) Region, and identify opportunities for private sector engagement and action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
12 July | 11:00 AM CEST
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development sets the stage for transforming our world through the achievement of 17 Sustainable Development Goals. This Agenda is a plan of action for people, planet and prosperity, and to strengthen universal peace. It recognizes that eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, including extreme poverty, is the greatest global challenge and an indispensable requirement for sustainable development. All countries and all stakeholders, acting in collaborative partnership, are called to implement this plan.
Transforming the world’s agri-food systems, the way we produce, process, distribute and consume food has been identified as one of the key avenues to achieving many targets of the 2030 Agenda. This means better production, better nutrition, and a better environment, for a better life.
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. Its goal is to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active and healthy lives and that food is produced in a sustainable way. With over 194 member states, FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide. The FAO Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (NENA) supports the 19 countries of the region in achieving these goals.
Welcoming remarks by QU Dongyu - Director-General, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) (15 minutes)
Introduction to the Webinar: AbdulHakim Elwaer -Assistant-Director General & Regional Representative - Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa - FAO (10 minutes)
Panel discussion 1:
Moderator: Beth Bechdol - Deputy Director General - FAO
- Naif AbdulMohsen Saleh Al-Rajhi - CEO – AlRajhi International Holding Group for Investment
- Ayman Amin Sejiny - CEO/General Manager-Islamic Corporation for the development of the Private Sector - Islamic Development Bank (IsDB)
- Alzbeta Klein - CEO/Director-General, International Fertilizer Association (IFA)
- Moez El-Shohdi - President of the Food Banking Regional Network
- Questions and answers (15 minutes)
Panel discussion 2:
Moderator: Ismahane El Ouafi - Chief Scientist - FAO
- HRH Prince Khaled bin Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud - Founder and Chief Executive Officer of KBW Investments and KBW Ventures
- Yousef Hamidaddin - CEO, AgriTech Accelerator
- Reginald Lee - Director, Programs, Grow Asia
- Chandra Singh - Director Business Development, Elite Agro
- Soud Ba'alawy - Executive Chairman Enspire (DIFC) Ltd.
- Questions and answers (15 minutes)
Closing remarks by AbdelHakim Elwaer - Assistant Director-General and Regional Representative of FAO’s Near East and North Africa Regional Ofice (RNE) (10 Minutes)
The event will have interpretation in English, Arabic and French.
You can register here for the Zoom event.
More details on the Agenda can be downloaded here.
For more information, please visit the FAO event website.
For replies please mail to RNE-Private-Sector@fao.org.
- Nexus Blog // Powering Sustainable Food Systems
- Publication // Discussion Paper: Sustainable Energy and Food Systems
- The Inner Niger Delta // Nexus Dynamics at the Heart of the Sahel