Global FRIEND Water 2023 International Conference // Addressing unsolved problems in hydrology for a water secure world in a changing environment
Every four years, a world conference is held to bring together all the scientists involved to discuss the challenges of research on water issues. The new edition will take place from 25 to 29 September 2023, at the University of Cheikh Anta Diop in Dakar, Senegal.
As a flagship initiative of IHP IX (2022-2029) which puts science to action for a Water Secure World, FRIEND-Water contributes to research on: regional water resources, hydrological extremes (drought and floods), climate resilient water adaption, as well as water education and capacity building. A global conference is organized every four years to bring together all the scientists working on these subjects and address the difficulties in doing research on them. The new edition will be held at the University of Cheikh Anta Diop in Dakar, Senegal, from September 25 to September 29 of 2023.
FRIEND-Water (Flow Regimes From International Experimental and Network Data) is an international network of experts that aims to contribute to new understandings of hydrology to better understand the influence of climate, river basins and human activities on the spatial and temporal distribution of water. As a flagship initiative of UNESCO's Intergovernmental Hydrological Programme (IHP), FRIEND-Water aims to encourage and strengthen transdisciplinary networks to facilitate: 1) scientific cooperation and capacity building, 2) development of analytical tools and 3) data sharing across national boundaries.
FRIEND-Water consists of over 162 participating countries in 8 regional groups to foster and strengthen international scientific cooperation.
- Europe (EURO FRIEND)
- Mediterranean (MED FRIEND)
- Latin American and Caribbean (AMIGO FRIEND)
- Southern Africa (SA FRIEND)
- West and Central Africa (AOC FRIEND)
- Asian Pacific (AP FRIEND)
- Congo (CONGO FRIEND)
- Nile Basin (NILE FRIEND)
Training sessions "Hydrology & Environment"
In accordance with the guidelines of the Intergovernmental Hydrological Program (IHP) of UNESCO for the support of research capacities in hydrological sciences through education, the FRIEND-Water Global Conference Dakar’2023 offers 3 training courses in Hydrology & Environment:
- Ecohydrological analysis of a territory and associated solutions, from the mapping of flows linked to runoff (IRIP): training in ecohydrology and the IRIP geomatics model for mapping the potential for intense runoff and testing of scenarios of ecohydrologically based mitigation (by Pascal Breil, INRAE; Makarius Lalika, SUA; Didier Orange, IRD);
- Hydrometry : training in hydrological measurement in the field.
- Early warning system (SAP): training in the knowledge of tools to develop warning systems in the context of the prevention of hydrological extremes in order to mitigate material, human or even economic damage from climate change.
Expected results: The skills that will be acquired at the end of this workshop can be popularized by integrating them into the courses given by teacher-researchers from the academic world as well as capacity building for development actors.
Origin of Participants: These training courses are open to all teacher-researchers, researchers, technicians and doctoral students using hydrological, climatological or environmental data.
The training sessions take place in parallel with the 9th FRIEND-Water Global Conference. Registration to the conference is mandatory to attend the training sessions.
Further Information and registration
Please find more information about the webinar here. Kindly register for the webinar here.