By loading the video, data will be sent to YouTube. More information can be found in our data protection policy.
The meeting will be a milestone for reviewing and accelerating progress towards achieving Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) target 6.5, discussing challenges and good practices related to transboundary water cooperation and the role of the Convention.
More than 500 representatives of Ministries responsible for water, environment, foreign affairs and development cooperation - from both Parties and non-Parties to the Convention - together with representatives of joint bodies, international and non-governmental organisations and academia from all regions of the world are expected to attend.
On 29 September, the special session on “Water and Peace” will provide an opportunity to highlight and discuss the role of transboundary water cooperation in fostering trust, stability and peace. It will offer a high-level platform for an open dialogue on the role of water in sustainable development, regional integration, cooperation and peace in transboundary basins and beyond. A concept note of the session is available here.
Agenda for the ninth session:
The meeting will feature the launch of five new publications to support transboundary water cooperation:
- Practical Guide for the development of agreements or other arrangements for transboundary water cooperation;
- The Handbook on water allocation in a transboundary context;
- The publication “Financing and funding transboundary water cooperation and basin development”;
- The publication “Solutions and investments in the water-food-energy-ecosystems nexus: a synthesis of experiences in transboundary basins”; and
- The publication “The second progress report on the Water Convention“
Finally, the meeting will adopt the Convention’s programme of work for 2022-2024.
Full details, including materials and registration, are available on the dedicated UNECE webpage.
WEFE Nexus Side Event
In connection to the MOP9, the global GWP office is organizing the following side event:
Water-Food-Energy-Ecosystems Nexus: Operationalising solutions, strengthening transboundary cooperation
Date and time: Monday, 27 September, 14:00-15:30 CEST
Short description: Stories from practitioners and a panel discussion will illustrate field experience regarding the potentials in using the nexus approach to operationalise solutions for advancing transboundary cooperation and sustainable water resources management.
- Please use this link to register for this side event.
Introduction and moderation
- Julienne Roux and Dimitris Faloutsos, GWP
Welcome by Water Convention
- Lucia de Strasser, UNECE
Key note address on using the nexus approach for advancing transboundary cooperation
- M. Abderahim Bireme Hamid, Executive Secretary of the Niger Basin Authority
Practitioners share stories
Pitch followed by story-telling and exchange in small groups
- Cesar Carmona-Moreno, Team Leader of Water Management in Developing Countries, European Commission – Joint Research Centre
- Dr Moussa Ibrahim, Nexus - Niger Basin Authority, Technical Advisor for Nexus Regional Dialogues in Niger Basin, implemented by GIZ
- Tassos Krommydas, Senior Programme Officer, Global Water Partnership - Mediterranean
- Gidon Bromberg, Co-Director of EcoPeace Middle East in Israel
- Hastings Chibuye, Programme Manager for the Zambezi Water Information System, Zambezi Watercourse Commission
Le nexus eau – sécurité alimentaire – énergie – écosystèmes: Opérationnaliser des solutions, renforcer la cooperation transfrontière
Date et here: Lundi 27 September, 14:00-15:30 CEST
Organisateur: Partenariat Mondial de l’Eau (Global Water Partnership – GWP)
Résumé: Des études de cas partagées par des praticiens et un panel permettront d’illustrer par des expériences de terrain le potentiel de l’approche nexus dans l’opérationnalisation de solutions permettant de faire progresser la coopération tranfrontière et la gestion durable des ressources en eau.
Veuillez utiliser ce lien pour vous inscrire à cet événement.
Invitation to Ministers to join the High-Level segment of the Water Convention MOP9