Afrika-Verein (German-African Business Association) and GAA – German Agribusiness Alliance are pleased to invite you to the
9th German-African Agribusiness Forum
The Path to Food Sovereignty – Sustainable and Resilient Agriculture for Africa
on January 23rd, 2023,
live event at Hotel Novotel Berlin am Tiergarten
(Straße des 17. Juni 106-108, 10623 Berlin, Germany)
The following African Ministers, State Ministers and high-ranking speakers have confirmed their attendance:
- Hon. Dr Déo Guide Rurema, Minister of Environment and Agriculture of Burundi
- Hon. Mamoudou Nagnalen Barry, Minister of Agriculture and Livestock of Guinea
- Hon. Mithika Linturi, Minister of Agriculture and Livestock Development of Kenya
- Hon. Samuel Kawale, Minister of Agriculture of Malawi
- Hon. Dr Meles Mekonen Yimer, State Minister for Agriculture and Horticulture Development, Ministry of Agriculture of Ethiopia
- Hon. Josefa Sacko, Commissioner for Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy, and Sustainable Environment, African Union Commission
- Ophelia Nick (MdB), Parliamentary State Secretary, Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL)
About the event
The agricultural sector is the backbone of many African economies and accounts for around a quarter of the continents economic output. But still, in many parts of the continent local production cannot keep up with the continued population growth. Disruptions in the agricultural supply and value chains due to the covid-19 pandemic and the war in Ukraine lead to surging food prices and shortages in many parts of the continent. With the prospect of deteriorating effects of climate change and ongoing weather extremes, the modernization of African agriculture and agri-food systems seems almost inevitable.
Among other topics we will discuss:
- Smart Farming, Digitalization, and Leapfrogging Opportunities
- The Reduction of Post-Harvest Losses and Value Creation
- How to Encourage Private Sector Investment
By discussing current developments in agribusiness and highlighting trendsetting projects we want to provide a platform for African and German business people, decision-makers and financial institutions to build partnerships that contribute not only to food security but in addition to value creation and more resilient and sustainable agricultural and economic systems in the long run.
Conference languages are English and French. Simultaneous translation will be provided in the main event room.
About the session
Parallel Session 4: The Agri Energy-Nexus: How to
Combine Food Security with Energy Transition (16:30 - 17:30 CET, Room B)
Floods, droughts and extreme weather due to climate change are already putting pressure on agricultural systems in Africa. In the long run, we need fossil-free solutions to fuel our economies in general and agricultural activities specifically. There are already clever solutions that can have a lasting impact – combining farming activities with energy production.