SWWW 2018 Outcomes // Donors’ Water Strategies under the 2030 Agenda
The rising importance of water in the development agenda is proven by a dedicated SDG on water as well as by the fact that water is integrated into more than 90% of the NDC adaptation chapters. A new dynamic is needed to actually deliver on SDG 6 and other water-related goals and targets. How do donors react to this? The event presented and discussed donors’ water strategies of the post 2015 era. Several donors have put forward new strategies like Germany’s BMZ or Swiss SDC, or work on guidance documents like the EU.
The SWWW 2018 Outcomes series provides access to key resources and highlights the main takeaways from panel sessions at Stockholm Water Week 2018 related to the water-energy-food Nexus.
In what aspects are donor’s strategies reshuffled: How are they aligned to the SDGs (like the rising importance of water resources management or hygiene i.e.)? In what aspects are interlinkages better represented than in the past? And how is the Paris Agreement mainstreamed?
Selected donors are invited to present (aspects) of their strategies, and of their approaches to to avoid trade-offs and create synergies across sectors. BMZ has developed a new instrument, “interlinkages strategies” on developed jointly between sectors and owned by them collectively. The water strategy is to be accompanied by 6 such strategies, e.g. one on “water, environment and climate change".
- Tania Rödiger-Vorwerk, BMZ, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Eileen Hofstetter, SDC, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
- Mike Muller, University of Witwatersrand
- Katrin Gronemeier, GIZ, Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit
- James M. Peters, USAID, U.S. Agency for International Development
- Antton Keto, Ministry of Environment, Finland
- Ylenia Rosso, EU DEVCO, EU Commission Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development
- Franz Marré, BMZ, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
Donors’ Water Strategies under the 2030 Agenda