This job vacancy was initially published on the Mercy Corps website.
About Mercy CorpsMercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact. Mercy Corps alleviates poverty, suffering, and oppression and works to build secure, productive, and just communities in over 40 countries around the world. Our Program Department supports field-led work that delivers measurable impact.
In 2022, Mercy Corps completed its new 2030 Global Strategy. The new strategy elevates Water Security to one of four key outcome areas for the agency, along with Food Security, Economic Opportunity, and Peace and Governance. This new focus combines Mercy Corps’ historical strengths in emergency WASH programming, with a desire to further build upon our impact in water resource management, productive water, and market-based water supply and sanitation service provision as part of the agency wide mission to build resilient and inclusive communities. In close collaboration with the Water Security Director, Senior WASH Advisors, country and regional teams, and other TSU members, the Senior Water Security Advisor is responsible for executing and further shaping the water security strategy.
As a Senior Water Security Advisor, you will play a crucial role in designing, implementing, and evaluating innovative global projects and programs aimed at strengthening water security in diverse contexts worldwide. You will work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to develop integrated water resources management approaches, promote water demand management, and strengthen water resources and water supply governance systems.
The Water Security Advisor will be responsible for helping country and program teams design and conduct assessments, analyze their water security issues, and identifying opportunities and solutions for intervention. Initial efforts will focus on helping country teams develop and operationalize water security strategies and build their portfolio of water security programming. This will involve supporting the development of country- or region- specific water security approaches, proposals, concept notes, donor engagement, producing influence-oriented research and writing products, and leading knowledge and capacity strengthening initiatives. You will provide technical expertise and guidance to project teams, partners, and program participants on various aspects of water security, including water resource planning, water use efficiency, watershed management, market-based water supply and sanitation service delivery, private sector engagement, and water infrastructure governance and sustainable financing. Additionally, you will actively contribute to policy development and advocacy initiatives related to water security at global, regional, and national levels.
Success in this role will require a deep understanding of global water security challenges, along with proven experience in facilitation of global water security program design and implementation. The successful candidate will possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as excellent communication and facilitation abilities. The ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders, from government agencies to local communities, will be crucial. Moreover, the Senior Water Security Advisor should demonstrate a commitment to promoting gender equality, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability in all water security interventions.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and collaborative team dedicated to making a tangible impact on global water security. The position offers the chance to work on complex and multifaceted projects, contribute to knowledge sharing and capacity building, and shape policies and interventions that positively impact the lives of vulnerable people and communities worldwide. If you are passionate about water security and possess the required expertise, we invite you to apply and become part of our mission to create a more secure and sustainable water future.
- Support the design and development of water security programs and projects, ensuring alignment with organizational goals and strategies, donor requirements, and best practices.
- Lead the design of country level strategy processes to build a vision for teams seeking to grow their water security program portfolio.
- Support country and project teams in designing and conducting thorough needs assessments and analysis to identify priority areas for intervention and develop evidence-based program strategies.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design innovative and context-specific approaches that address water security challenges, considering social, economic, and environmental dimensions.
- Ensure integration of gender equality, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability principles into program design and implementation.
- Lead and contribute to the development of high-quality proposals, including providing technical inputs, conducting research, and drafting program narratives and budgets.
- Contribute to agency-wide initiatives such as the research agenda around water security.
Must- Have qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in economics, business, environmental economics, environmental management, water resources management, hydrology, environmental engineering, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in water security that includes:
- Designing, implementing, and/or evaluating water security programs and projects.
- Preparing writing and analysis for proposal development.
- Producing and publishing influential articles and blogs.
- Leading all aspects of large and complex proposals and managing integrated proposal teams.
- Demonstrating strong theoretical and applied knowledge of the field of expertise.
- Using integrated approaches and applying systems thinking.
- Strong business development experience and track record with major donors, such as USAID, FCDO, EC, BHA, ECHO, among others.
- In-depth understanding of global water security challenges and relevant frameworks, policies, and guidelines related to water security, such as the SDGs, the Paris Agreement, and the principles of Integrated Water Resources Management.
- Strong technical knowledge and practical experience in integrated water resources management.
- Practical field experience in diverse geographic settings, typically over the course of 2 years, that includes: A combination of successful temporary duration field assignments (under two weeks), longer-term field assignments (two or more weeks), and/or living in a field location for an extended period to work in a country or field office.
- Demonstrated experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating water security programs and projects.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and facilitation skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
Nice - to - Have qualifications
- Master's degree in economics, business, water resources management, hydrology, environmental engineering, or a related field.
- Strong business development experience and track record with non-traditional donors, such as foundations or corporations.
- Experience conducting emergency response assignments or other crisis response work that demonstrates the ability to successfully adapt support and assistance methodologies to real-world complexities.
- Managing and implementing successful programs in the field.
- Delivering capacity building curriculum or other processes for field teams
- Working-level proficiency in French, Arabic, Spanish, or other relevant language.
- Experience working with government agencies, NGOs, community groups, and private sector partners.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies.
- Understanding of social inclusion, gender equality, and environmental sustainability principles in water security programming.
Further Information and Application
Click here for more information on the job vacancy and the application.
- Job Vacancy // Open Rank Professor in Food, Water, Energy Nexus
- Professional Development Training // Masterclass in (WEFE) Nexus Development: Water-Energy-Food Ecosystems in the South Mediterranean
- Event // World Water Week, August 2023