©United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs in flickr
Organised in the framework of the online course on "International Water Law", this webinar aims to present the progress made at the UN Water Conference, which took place 22-24 March 2023, and concluded with the adoption of the Water Agenda. This contains over 700 voluntary commitments submitted by states, international and non-governmental organisations, academic institutions and the private sector.
During this webinar, speakers will present some of these commitments in relation to peace, cooperation and sustainable development. The aim is to learn more about the content of the action plan that will guide future relationships between actors working in the field of fresh water. In addition, the webinar will address the potential impact of its commitments on the future development of international water law and highlight how the water community can contribute to providing new tools to address the triple global crisis of climate change, pollution and biodiversity loss.
Issues to be addressed will include commitments to promote peace and cooperation over water resources and their implementation through international water law.
Moderator: Mara Tignino - Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Law and Institute of Environmental Sciences, University of Geneva; Lead Legal Specialist, Platform for International Water Law, Geneva Water Hub.
- Promoting cooperation on transboundary water resources at the UN Water Conference - Komlan Sangbana - Legal Officer and Programme Officer at the Secretariat of the Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes (UNECE).
- World Bank approaches to transboundary water management - Anders Jägerskog, Senior Water Resources Management Expert, World Bank.
- Geneva Water Hub initiatives at the UN Water Conference - Noura Kayal, Lead Diplomatic and International Relationship Specialist, Geneva Water Hub.
- The Dakar Action Plan and its implementation at the transboundary basin level: the links between the 2022 World Water Forum and the 2023 UN Water Conference - Edouard Boinet, Project Manager, International Office for Water.
- The Lake Chad Basin Commission and its future developments - Hyacinthe Banseka, Technical Director, Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC).
Exchanges with participants
Date and Location
Date: 10th of May, 2023
Time: 15:00- 16:30 (CET, Geneva time)