Webinar // Strengthening Water-EnergyFood Nexus to expand smallscale farmer-led irrigation solutions for climate-friendly and more resilient food systems
On the occasion of the UNFSS 2021 Pre-Summit, International Initiative Water and Energy for Food (WE4F), the International Water Management Institute (IWMI), the World Bank, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the World Food Program (WFP) have organized a virtual affiliated session, hosted by GIZ, on innovative solutions for smallholder-farmers in the WEF Nexus.
July 26, 2021 | 1:30PM CET
The current global food system is under pressure due to climate change and population growth. Climate change adaptation is urgent and we must rethink the way resources (especially water/energy) are used from farm to fork. Farms need to become future-proof by applying innovative (Nexus) solutions. Here, smallholder farmers have a key role – producing 80% of food in low- and middle-income countries but being most vulnerable to climate change and having limited access to innovations and finance. We need to join forces and develop transformative multi-stakeholder approaches for smallholders and innovators to scale water- and energy-efficient innovations for climate-resilient food systems. Therefore, the session will stress the importance and share experiences of multi-stakeholder partnerships to accelerate and scale Water-Energy-Food Nexus solutions across scale and food value chains. The moderator is Lucie Pluschke (WE4F).
Aims of the session
1. Highlighting the potentials of solar-based small-scale farmer-led irrigation solutions for climate-friendly and more resilient food systems.
2. Discussing the way forward to accelerate small-scale farmer-led irrigation solutions at scale using a holistic WEF Nexus and multi-stakeholder approach in times of climate change.
The UNFSS Pre-Summit is open to all – digital, worldwide, and free of charge. You only need to register here.
You will be able to join the session via this MS Team Meeting link.
The event agenda is available here.
- Hybrid event // United Nations Food Systems Pre-Summit 2021
- Toolbox // Solar-powered Irrigation Systems (SPIS)
- SPIS // Positive Prospects for Solar-powered Irrigation Systems
- SPIS Toolbox App // Solar Powered Irrigation System (SPIS) Toolbox App launched
- Solar-powered Irrigation Systems // The Benefits and Risks of Solar-powered Irrigation - A Global Overview