This event is part of the Stockholm World Water Week 2018.
The Nexus approach addresses in an integrated manner the inextricable linkages between water resources, food, energy and ecosystems, in order to ensure water and food security, together with sustainable agriculture and energy production and consumption. Wetlands and their environmental service are a typical case of an element connecting ecosystems, water and food production, calling for integrated and inter-sectoral work.
The event will take stock of the needs, challenges, regional initiatives and best practices in the Mediterranean region regarding the sustainable management of wetlands mainly through the Nexus approach with an emphasis on the expected benefits and the replicable experiences .
Where and when
28 Aug 2018
Welcoming remarks, context and outline of the session
- Vangelis Constantianos, Executive Secretary, GWP-Med
- Luís Costa, MAVA Foundation, Programme Manager, Mediterranean Basin
- Union for the Mediterranean Secretariat (Name tbc)
- Coastal wetlands: what investments for what services?
Chris Baker, Wetlands International, Programme Head Water Resources
- Sustainable management of wetlands in the MENA region through the Nexus approachSarra Touzi, Senior Programme Officer, GWP-Med
Facilitated Panel Discussion
- Job Kleijn, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Netherlands, Focal Point, Water Affairs, MENA region
- Angela Klauschen, MedWet, Senior Policy Advisor
- Kholoud Al-Ajarma, Lajee Center, Palestine, Programs Manager, Winner of Water Heroes Contest
- Ger Bergkamp, ARCOWA, CEO
- Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) (Name tbc)
Facilitators: Anthi Brouma, Deputy Regional Coordinator, GWP-Med & Tassos Krommydas, Senior Programme Officer, GWP-Med
Open Q&A section
- Global Water Partnership - Mediterranean