Distinguished speakers across Asia-Pacific convened to discuss Asia's specific challenges and how governments, companies and international bodies ought to address those challenges. The summit was structured with three pillar panel discussions on trade, agriculture, health and nutrition. Policymakers from Indonesia, Thailand, Australia, Taiwan and Philippines opened each panel discussion with their "Policy perspective".
Provocative remarks from Kevin Rudd, former Prime Minister of Australia, and other speakers were well-received by participants that included senior representatives from corporate, multilateral and advocacy groups included Cargill, Jain Irrigation, Monsanto, Syngenta, PepsiCo, BASF Group, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, UN World Food Programme, Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, International Food Policy Research Institute, International Rice Research Institute, Food Industry Asia and the World Bank. The conference closed with a one-on-one interview with Melinda Gates via video from Arusha, Tanzania, where she was also speaking at the African Green Revolution Forum.
The next summit in the global Feeding the World series from The Economist, will be Feeding the World: Africa's role in solving the global food crisis.
- Charles Goddard, Editorial Director, Asia-Pacific, Economist Intelligence Unit
- John Parker, Globalisation Editor, The Economist, author of special report Feeding the World (The Economist, February 2011)
- Rusman Heriawan, Vice Minister of Agriculture, Government of Indonesia
- Kevin Rudd, Member, Australian Parliament for Griffith; Former Prime Minister, Government of Australia
- Walter Dissinger, President, Nutrition & Health Division, BASF Group
- Daniel Balaban, Head, Centre of Excellence Against Hunger, Brazil; President, Brazilian National Education Development Fund
- Percy Misika, FAO Representative in China, DPR Korea and Mongolia, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Shenggen Fan, Director General, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- Robert Zeigler, Director-General, International Rice Research Institute
- Anil Jain, Managing Director, Jain Irrigation Systems
- Gao Yu, China Country Director, Landesa
- MS Swaminathan, Chairman, MS Swaminathan Research Foundation
- Umran Beba, President, Asia-Pacific region, PepsiCo
- Davor Pisk, Chief Operating Officer, Syngenta
- Jose Cuesta, Food Price Watch author, Senior Economist, The World Bank
- Johann Vollmann, Professor and Soy bean breeder, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna