This article was initially published on the CAREC website on February 10th 2023.
TURKMENISTAN – On February 7 and 10, 33 lecturers and professors from the Academy of Civil Service under the President of Turkmenistan (Ashgabat) and the Turkmen Agricultural Institute (Dashoguz) learnt about the interactions between water, energy, food and environment security through the Interactive Nexus Simulation game, conducted by the Regional Environmental Centre for Central Asia (CAREC) in cooperation with USAID Central Asia’s Regional Water and Vulnerable Environment Activity (WAVE).
The Nexus Simulation game places participants the roles of ministries that have competing interests for water to satisfy national objectives. In this situation, players are encouraged to think outside the box to negotiate complex situations for devising regulations and policy that satisfy multiple demands for water while staying in balance with environmental limits.
The Nexus simulation was developed by the Polish organization Centre for Systems Solutions in collaboration with the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis and the “Sustainable Energy for All” Initiative and introduced in the Central Asian region in 2018 by CAREC in the framework of the European Union funded project “Nexus Dialogue in Central Asia”. The Nexus Simulation was distributed later by CAREC in universities, academies, basin organizations and media in Central Asia with funding from the EU and USAID.
CAREC implements the projects:
- “Support for the USAID Reginal Water and Vulnerable Environment” in partnership with the USAID WAVE under financial support of the USAID.”
- “Nexus Dialogue in Central Asia” in partnership with the Global Nexus Secretariat under the financial support of the European Union.
- Nexus Regional Dialogue Central Asia // EU and USAID support improved water management in Turkmenistan
- Nexus Regional Dialogue Central Asia // European Union supports integration of WEF Nexus approach into educational curricula in Kazakhstan
- Nexus Regional Dialogue Central Asia // Support for the application of the WEFE Nexus approach in Central Asia continues to expand
- Nexus Regional Dialogue Central Asia // EU helps identify investment needs to address Water-Energy-Food challenges in Central Asia