Nexus Gains Talk 13: Managed Aquifer Recharge in the Ganges Basin: Examining Barriers to Wider Implementation
July 27, 2023, 16:30–17:30 IST (online)
Socio-technological innovations are greatly needed to deal with extremes in hydrologic variability, which are being exacerbated by the effects of development and climate change.
Underground Transfer of Floods for Irrigation (UTFI) is a form of managed aquifer recharge that helps boost groundwater storage in depleted aquifers, while reducing seasonal flooding and building resilience to agricultural droughts. UTFI has been successfully piloted at the community level in the Ganges Basin and contributed towards district-level scaling through various Government of India programs. Although field experiences have been focused within the Ganges, the opportunities at the global scale have also been examined.
This NEXUS Gains webinar will provide an overview of UTFI concepts and evidence, and introduce the work underway to examine the barriers to wider implementation.
- Andrew Ross, Honorary Research Fellow, Fenner School of Environment and Society, Australian National University, Moderator
- Paul Pavelic, Senior Researcher, International Water Management Institute, Lao PDR
- Mohammad Faiz Alam and Navneet Sharma: International Water Management Institute, India
- Gayathri Angou, MSc candidate, TU Delft and Wageningen University (AMS Institute)
Subscribe to the NEXUS Gains newsletter: http://eepurl.com/h-H82L
- Event // World Water Week, August 2023
- Global FRIEND Water 2023 International Conference // Addressing unsolved problems in hydrology for a water secure world in a changing environment
- Job Vacancy // Senior Water Security Advisor
- Nexus Dialogue in the Niger Basin // Fund-raising: promising start-ups go head-to-head with impact investors