UN-Water will host a Water Day on 19 June at the Rio+20 Conference, with the following objectives:
- Demonstrate to the broad range of stakeholders, particularly decision makers, that some of the major challenges facing humanity today relate to water management; this will be based on findings of the major UN-Water reports.
- Identify major water issues that connect with the themes of the Rio+20 Conference, particularly its link with the notion of green economy.
- Focus on the means of implementation, especially the action areas where UN organizations and agencies can act together through UN-Water.
9.30 - 13.00 | Water Day - Part 1
- IWRM, Benefiting countries for a sustainable and equitable future Interactive policy dialogue and launch of the UN-Water Report on Water Resources Management
- A push toward global commitments on universal access to water and sanitation Reflections on the Rio +20 Outcome document and charting the way forward while setting commitments for Rio+20 and beyond
17.30 - 21.00 | Water Day - Part 2
- Water and Sanitation as a Human Right
- International Year of Water Cooperation and World Water Day 2013